Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

You want to use only one water containment method in your shower, Ryan. Either the properly installed moisture barrier behind the wallboard, or a direct bonded waterproofing membrane on the face of the wallboard, but not both.

With your niche(s), you'll not likely be able to effectively use the moisture barrier behind the wallboards. If you cut the moisture barrier around your niche, you'll need to use the waterproofing membrane in that area anyway, so better to use that method for the entire shower.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #17
Rmcrae2

Please forgive my ignorance, assuming the direct bonded waterproofing membrane is applied correctly what’s the harm of having the plastic sheeting behind the durock? No moisture should penetrate correct?

I see plenty of info out there stating put the plastic sheeting behind durock with the direct bonded waterproofing membrane and others as you stating one or the other??????
Unread 01-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ryan, there will be moisture penetrating the waterproofing membrane when the shower is in use, especially if you live in a cold climate (please put a geographic location into your User Profile) and the shower has an exterior wall.

The membrane will keep liquid water from penetrating, but will not stop all moisture vapor, which will condense into liquid water at the first place it sees its dew point, which in the case of your double moisture barrier will be at that second moisture barrier where it will have paused, having lost much of its vapor drive. Some of the waterproofing membranes have a much higher perm rating than others, but they all allow some vapor transmission. And you'll be using that shower for many years, hopefully.

What harm will it do being nearly permanently captured within that wallboard, you might ask? I dunno, but I'm not in favor of testing the situation in your shower walls. If you are, that's fine with me, of course.

The ceramic tile industry, much to my objection, has even published an acceptable method of building steam showers using both a direct bonded waterproofing membrane and a moisture barrier behind the wallboard specifically to accommodate waterproofing membranes that do not have a sufficiently low perm rating to qualify for steam shower use. And to the best of my knowledge no testing was done at all prior to or subsequent to the acceptance of that method. But that's another discussion, eh?

My opiinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #19
Rmcrae2

Thank you Cx, you are the man. I hope you don’t mind me questioning you.
Unread 01-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

I do not mind at all, Ryan. If I can't 'splain my comments, I should probably not make them, eh?

How 'bout that geographic location in your User Profile?

Unread 01-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #21
Rmcrae2

Thank you very much Cx
Unread 01-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #22
Rmcrae2

Richmond, Va. I’ll update my profile ASAP so as not to create such a SNAFU next time.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase