Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
That plate is at least 4" in diameter, but probably 5 or 6. Keeping a 4"+ hole saw in perfect alignment, free hand, isn't likely to happen and, even if one could, there's the likelihood of grinding into the field tile.

Unless that escutcheon is polished stainless steel with no other coating I think grinding it will compromise the factory finish by letting water get in between the finish and the base metal. But perhaps you can get a really, really thin bead of clear silicone around it so it will look clean and tidy and protect it. Maybe.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
smifwal

Just cut the plate, if the finish fades buy a new plate, if you were worried that you won't be able to find the plate in a few years buy a few now to have on the shelf. Grinding the tile is just too risky, and IMHO not worth it
Unread 01-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #18
advertguy2

Just putting this out there and trying to think outside the box, but if you have access to a 3D printer or a machine shop or anything, what about making up some sort of transition plate/piece with the tile profile on the backside and flat on the front to accept the trim piece.
Unread 01-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
ZZZK

This one is a no brainer. GRIND THE METAL PLATE. If you are worried about the finish you can seal the cut edge with a clear coat enamel such as automotive touchup paint. Then you tape off and silicone that plate edge/tile transition anyway and you won't have any problems. Don't even think about freehand griding that tile, way too risky, difficult to get a nice radius, and too much work compared to taking a dremel to the plate which will be cake and which you can buy a replacement for cheap in case you fubar it. Just take your time working it down with the dremel to get the contour halfway decent. The silicone will cover up any imperfections in the countour. I would find a dark silicone to match the grout or check the grout manufacturer for a matching silicone. Carefully tape off the plate and the perimeter of the tile so that only the areas you want silicone are visible. Tool the silicone with a wet gloved finger and immediately remove the tape being careful not to smear the bead. Have some denatured alcohol handy for any smearing. You should end up with a perfect bead that will hide any imperfections in your plate grinding and should look great and will also prevent any water from getting behind the plate as you will have some issues getting a nice seal with the attached gasket.
Unread 01-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #20
jerrymlr1

If it were my work, which it aint, or my house, which it's not, I would either remove the protruding tile on the entire wall and replace with flat pieces or move the valve. I know what a pain that is but I couldn't live with anything where the fixture is embedded in those trim pieces.
Unread 01-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #21
speed51133

Drilax 5 inch Diamond Hole Saw Drill Bit Tiles, Glass, Fish Tanks, Marble, Granite Countertop, Ceramic, Porcelain, Coated Core Bits Holesaw DIY Kitchen, Bathroom, Shower, Faucet Installation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RLWBJ7..._BtMfEbY41FVYB

You make a guide out of some plywood. Cut a hole with a wood hole saw. Then hold it against the tile and cut with the diamond saw. Rout out anything needed to get the jig to sit flush. Have a helper hold the jig against the tile and hold it still.

All you need is to grind out about a quarter inch and have the plate rest in the valley, once it is flush with all tile
Unread 01-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #22
Vmaxman

Are you familiar with siding blocks? Maybe take a similar approach.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sidi...izon&prmd=sivn

Go to a local marble and granite fabricator. Have them make you up a "donut" that is maybe 3/4" larger in O.D. than your escutcheon. That will leave a 3/8" reveal all around. Pick a material that corresponds with the wall tile.

Use a grinder to remove the tile carefully and then a carbide rasp attachment on a multitool to smooth out the thinset mortar without damaging the membrane below.

Thinset the donut in place and then grout. As long as you can cut the circle in the tile neatly, I feel it would work nicely.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase