Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
vickyprodify

Wedi board to drywall transition

Hi,
Im remodelling my master bathroom. Went with wedi fundo ligno shower base and wedi boards for the wall.

On the wall opposite the shower, wedi board is not transitioning flush to the drywall. There is 1/2 inch difference and wedi board is inside the drywall. What do i do in this case? Should this absolutely be flush, or can I live with the difference? I can reduce the difference a little bit with shims, may be reduce it by a quarter inch but not much further.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 01-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Vignesh.

First, why is there that much difference? Was the wallboard previously shimmed out to accommodate the window or some other trim?

A photo from farther back where we could get some perspective might help a good bit, but I think it probable you would need to shim the entire shower wall to bring the Wedi board out flush with the drywall and keep the Wedi board flat for a tile installation.

Do you intend to tile all the way to the edge of that Wedi? Farther?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh
...or can I live with the difference?
You need to look in the mirror when you ask that question or ask the question of Mrs. Vignesh - unless I've got that backwards. There are many ways to treat such areas, but a lot would depend upon the questions posed above and the request for additional photos.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I'm not sure why your wall is shimmied out so far. I would start by screwing the edge of the drywall with drywall screws. Hopefully, you can get 1/16-1/8 inch from that.

Then you'll have to shim out the Wedi board to get the rest of it. I'm assuming that you are using their 1/2 inch building panels.
Unread 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Yes, welcome Vignesh.

That's quite a gap between the drywall and the wall studs, and given how narrow that strip of drywall is between the window trim and the Wedi, I don't believe you can run any screws into the drywall there in hopes of pulling it tighter to the studs - it's just going to crack. There is something wonky with how that window was installed.

As it stands I don't see how you'll be able to get the drywall and the Wedi in the same plane. If it were me I'd have to pull off the window trim and the surrounding drywall to figure out what is going on.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
kickstart

I'd put a level up to both the drywall and the Wedi board.

Which one is plumb?

If the drywall is plumb, then shim out the Wedi board to match it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase