Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #31
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I thought they meant outside the shower floor.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #32
THW

The pro (general contractor) made a shower pan that is not even. It is supposed to be a single slope, but it is bumpy. I wonder how I can fix this before (or while) installing tile. What kind of adhesive could be used in a thicker layer to get the tiles in a nice and straight plane?
Unread 01-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #33
Kman

Depending on how bad it is, grinding it might be in order. Are there just little bumps here and there, or large humps that would interfere with water draining from larger areas?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #34
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Marion said, "What kind of adhesive could be used in a thicker layer to get the tiles in a nice and straight plane? "

You really shouldn't have to put down a second mud bed because there's a few voids. Fill the voids and let it set, then tile it. Like Kevin said, Depends on how big the voids are and what size tiles you're using.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #35
THW

See photo. It is just wavy. My tiles are 6x6 squares. I think I can make the tiles nice and straight, but someone said earlier in this thread that thinset is not suitable to use in a thicker layer.
Attached Images

Unread 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #36
THW

The differences between high and low areas are about 1/2".
Attached Images

Unread 01-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That's more than I thought. Doesn't sound like your contractor has any experience mudding a shower floor. Leaving 1/2 waves in the floor won't fly. I'm not saying it can't be filled but I would make him remove the mud and start over.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #38
THW

Davy, can I use thin-set or something else? I am just tired dealing with this guy, and also tired of involving the landlord who hired him. I would be much happier to just fix it myself without a lot of demolition.
Unread 01-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #39
cx
Moderator emeritus

Marion, the only correct way to fix the final mud bed on your shower floor would be to remove what's there and do another mud bed properly. That mud needs to be flat from perimeter to drain, properly sloped, and sufficiently porous to function properly.

He needs to do it over and do it correctly this time. You shouldn't hafta be re-doing his work if he's being paid to do it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #40
THW

Tearing it out is not an option. He wont make it better next time. And dealing with the landlord is a p.i.t.a. too (landlord loves his contractor, which doesn't make things easier). There must be other ways to deal with an uneven surface and still do a good job. I wondered if I can use a "large format tile adhesive". I read that ProLite can be used 3/4 thick. That would give me enough to make up for the humps and bumps. What do you think?
Unread 01-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #41
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion, Post #10
Landlord hired contractor to build shower tile-ready and pays for material, I am going to install tiles...
Contractor has not fulfilled his part of that agreement. If you elect to tile over a surface that does not meet tile industry standards you have accepted the unsuitable substrate and are responsible for the results. I very strongly recommend you not do that to yourself.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #42
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Given that you are not the owner, I agree, I wouldn't tile that. When the time comes that you move from there the LL could try to blame you for whatever ills that uneven surace ends up causing.

Have the LL find someone to tile it.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #43
speed51133

If you are a renter, why are you even bothering with this or worrying about it?? Let the contractor do whatever.
Unread 01-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #44
THW

I made a deal with the landlord: he pays for material, I provide the labor. That had worked fine in the past for tiled stairs. But since LL insisted to use his contractor for the prep work in the shower, we are having trouble. We called him already to fix a few mistakes, f.e. wall and curb where the glass blocks will be attached were nowhere near 90 degrees to each other. His fix was a hump of mortar on the wall. I don't need fixes like that. At least now the wall looks as uneven as the pan.
Unread 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #45
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

For smaller problems with flatness, you could use a rubbing block, but that becomes a lot more tedious and problematic over a larger surface area. A typical mud bed rubs down fairly quickly.

With a conventional shower build, the mud bed needs to drain. Adding a bunch on top of it may compromise that, and bonding it to the original layer becomes an issue. You might get by with using a slurry of Portland cement to bond some new deck mud into the low spots, but I wouldn't risk it.

Cracking out that top layer without damaging the liner could probably be done with care. The materials are cheap, and with a single slope, should be easier than making a bowl with slopes towards the center. A long straightedge screed should allow you to get the slope flat.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase