Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 10-26-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Dvisr

Tile Setting Is Easy

I have a new found respect for you tile setting professionals and the cost of your craft.
I am an accomplished diy’er and I strive for perfection in all I do. However, I’ve discovered that with shower tile setting and general shower renovation, it is much, much easier to plan for and imagine perfection, than to actually pull it off.
Going into this project I convinced myself “Tile Setting is Easy”. At least that’s how it seemed looking at pics, videos and reading posts where you folks bang out a shower in a few days. Seriously, how hard can it be?
Well I found out. Even with careful planning I spent as much time undoing as I did doing. I was confounded to the very last tile by thin set (evil goo). No amount of written instruction can teach how to keep from making a total mess with that stuff. I never did figure out how to keep gobs of it from falling out of the side edge of the trowel.
While my end result isn’t exactly a hack job, it’s a long chalk from the level of quality you folks exhibit daily.
The wealth of shared knowledge found here is the only way I completed my first,and likely, last shower job. I really appreciate the time you folks spend to contribute here.
I’ll be looking for a professional on my next rental bathroom.
-Jim
Unread 10-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Thanks, Jim. I can easily spend 8-10 days tearing out and rebuilding a shower. Being fast doesn't really excite me anymore.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Dvisr

Thank you Davy.
Your advice to others here got me back on track several times.
Unread 10-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

I can take longer than Davy.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Dvisr

CX- although your avatar and straight forward method of communicating here would suggest you’re a curmudgeon, I suspect otherwise. You spend too much time providing sound, helpful advice for that to be true.
And if spending time to complete a shower is something to be proud of, then I am most definitely proud of my shower.
-Jim
Unread 10-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Spending enough time to do a good job is something of which to be proud, Jim. Whether that be two weeks or two months or two years is determined entirely by the person doing the work and the time frame being acceptable to all concerned. Ain't no rules for that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Glad we could be of help, Jim, and I do hope you don't give up on DIY tiling. It's does get a little easier with practice.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Whether that be two weeks or two months or two years
Heeeey……
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase