Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
pouletgloussant

Building Up A Wall for Arabesque Tile

I have a wall.
It has a fire place (gas).
It wants new tile.
I have arabesque tile (pulled off the mesh sheets it was on, approx 6" tall x 4' wide tiles)
I am using Kerabond/Keralastic.

The Problem:
The bottom 8 inches of the wall falls behind the very bottom lip of the fire place surround metal thing. I am tiling above the bottom lip (which was haw it wa originally done by the builders). The gap between the drywall and the lip is enough that the tiles won't be flat against each other and will in fact look like crap.
The question: How should I build up the wall? Multiple applications of thin set? Drywall Mud? (Though I don't believe that the Mapei will stick to that, Hmmmm)
Can I use bass wood/craft wood to build it up?

I really don't want to rip the wall out again. I tried to build it out before while making the side all match up nicely.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, for some reason the thin set didn't really want to stick to the wall, I am thinking that since it is fresh drywall that has no mud or primer on it, that maybe my thin set should be a little more wet. Dunno.

IMAGES: The one with the green tile was the original. They were glued onto drywall. The drywall picture is where I'm at: you can see the shadow that is made by the tab. I did rebuild that wall and got the gap smaller, but shimming the bottom piece of drywall out more would make it not line it up to the side pieces.
The last image shows the shamed out bottom.
Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by pouletgloussant; 06-30-2018 at 07:44 PM.
pouletgloussant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Greg, you might need to post a picture so we can see exactly what you're dealing with.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
makethatkerdistick

Greg, what role does that clucking chicken play in your tile project?
Unread 06-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Greg.

I’m looking at those pictures on my phone, so it’s hard to estimate. But I think you are running afoul the building codes by building with combustible materials too close to the fireplace box and projecting too far out from the wall.
1A) How far is it from the sides of the fireplace box to the wood on the sides?
1B) And how far out from the face does the wood project?
And...
2A) How far is it from the top of the fireplace box to the wood above?
2B) And how far out from the face does the wood project?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
pouletgloussant

Tool Guy:
About 7 inches on the sides and 10 inches on the top.
Sticks out 2.5 inches

When you say building with combustible materials, I know you mean wood. Does it not matter then that the whole firebox is framed in wood, with it sitting on wood. It is a gas fireplace. Does that make a difference?

Found the Code, NFPA 211:11.2.5.3. and 11.2.5.4, that relates to combustible materials. Thank you for your input. I have to raise the top of the mantel to 12 inches above the opening. This is form the NFPA 2016 code and this seems to be the most recent code on their site. Please inform me if I am mistaken.

Also, I did not see any additional comments regarding the amount it extends in NFPA 2016 211 code. If you could direct me to your info that would be very helpful.

Last edited by pouletgloussant; 07-01-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Research and claification
pouletgloussant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
pouletgloussant

makethatkerdistick
nice catch!
Unread 07-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg

International Residential Code (usually just abbreviated “IRC”) 1001.11. You can google this and get the code section. But codes don’t always read very easily. In fact, you gotta really pay attention. So you might wanna check out this article in Fine Homebuilding.

Do realize that codes vary depending on what is imposed on a jurisdiction and what the jurisdiction adopts. For this reason, it’s a great idea to talk to your local code officials to keep yourself in the clear.

Unread 07-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
pouletgloussant

Tool Guy:
Thank you. How on earth are there all these codes and laws that reference each other but disagree, and then the local ordinance is allowed to use whichever it wants and then can make adjustments willy nilly. It's a hot mess.

As I read it and all the others, I am within code from the opening of my factory built (and therefore most likely 127 accepted) fire box.

Thank you again for introducing me to the crazy world of codes.

Plus, here in Chicago, it's anyone's guess as to what the code will be on what day, if it's a full moon, maybe the sardines are running............

Cheers
Greg
Unread 07-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg

Not easy....that’s for sure.

It’s because we have freedom to do what we want. A state imposed code will apply to the entire state. But a local city can choose to be more stringent if they want. We could talk all day, but that would be exhausting. I, too, wish things were simpler & more consistent.

You aren’t up to code. The stuff that’s 7” to the sides is only allowed to stick out 7/8”. And the stuff you have above the firebox is only 10” away according to you. That’s gotta be at least 12”. But the measurement is taken from the nearest inside face of the box. So do double check your measurements.

Chicago is one of the more strict/stringent when it comes to code.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase