Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #181
makethatkerdistick

Dan, that sounds just like a typical Schluter warranty. Pretty much useless. Deduct the megohmmeter rental fee from the cost of the heating cable. That's the value under warranty, I presume. Coverage of installation damages in case of warranty claim not included.
I suppose those heating cables are long-lived, so most likely will last many year if not decades unless run all the time nonstop.
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #182
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

i took the cable reel to a motor repair shop and had it megged. but you are supposed to test it now installed and then i guess after tile. Floor and decor really needs to have these available for a deposit... I will try to find someone who can stop buy with out a big service charge. all 3 cables ohm out good. It seems hard to damage a cable installing it but I do worry about the trowel installing tile. One you tube video says to fill the voids first since using flat side of trowel.
Unread 07-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #183
Lou_MA

I prefill the ditra heat using a firm edged grout float. The tops of the wires are still exposed though.
Unread 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #184
greenjp

I used Laticrete Strataheat in my bathroom, it's pretty much the same as Ditra heat. Laticrete specifically recommends prefilling the mat, letting it dry, then installing the tiles. Use a grout float to do this. Now when you're setting the tiles with a metal float the wires are protected.

Several megohmeters available on Amazon for less than $50 that'll do the trick if you're so inclined. Laticrete does not require megger readings for their (probably also useless) warranty.

j
Unread 07-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #185
Elkski

Well I was lazy yesterday I was a seamstress and cut the kerdi but didn't get my kerdi installed so I could start the flood text today and have it inspected on the 3rd. so no shower tile until the 8th... but plenty other things to do. like fishing. I saw and read the reviews on Amazon. I dont recall a 50$ one but 75$ I may have to order one or skip it At least I tested it on the spool.
Unread 07-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #186
Elkski

My shower should be waterproof but I missed City inspection by a couple days so I guess I get a tile break for the holiday. I did forget to add in the height of the Kerdi so my slope is actually close to nine tenths of an inch in 22 in rather than the .75 I was aiming for. I don't think the slope will be a problem because most likely when you shower you will straddle the drain.
Attached Images

Unread 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #187
Elkski

Started my water test yesterday it's looking good except it did seep over the threshold I had a little too full I guess. I did buy a megaohmeter and it tested okay so maybe I will feel all the ditra heat within set today and inspector comes in the morning and then I can start tiling
Unread 07-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #188
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would want a straight shot from the drain to the bath floor (or speed bump). Is there a flange at the drain for the tile to flush up with?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #189
Elkski

What do you mean Davy? I have the linear drain with a SS grate. I'm going with 24" tiles the long way. I will need one grout line in the doorway since it's longer than my tiles by an inch or two. I am wondering how I should do right below thg get door. I was trying to talk to this Glassdoor guys to find out what I should do under the door but they really weren't very clear and it depends on what type of door I go with
It is about 9/10 of an inch from the top of the drain flange to the threshold going into the room, that's right at 24" so slope will easily be 3/8"
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 07-07-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #190
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like having a speed bump across the door so the rubber door sweep won't drag the bath floor. 1/4-3/8 is all it needs. Have you thought about running a long tile across the doorway (for the door to seal against) and run the shower floor tiles to it?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #191
Elkski

Is the speed bump something in the tile or goes on after? Yes I've considered using long ways like I did on top of door but still needs an few extra inches.
If you mean a speed bump in the tile do you mean like run a 2in wide strip across and have it a little higher than the other two sloping tiles?
1 door sales guy wants me to go European glass with no ceiling or door sweep he has a steam shower and he says it's okay. The same guy says he orders the glass 5/16 of an inch smaller than the opening and the glass can come plus or minus 1/8 of an inch
Unread 07-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #192
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, I'm talking about making the speed bump out of strips of tile, may need to be 2 or 3 strips to get a rounded bump. I've done these that wheel chairs can roll over quite easily and still provide enough height to keep the door from dragging.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #193
Elkski

Do you mean a speed bump like this? I drew this using 3 1" strip . So it's 3" wide by 1/4" tall.

I decided I am not going to fill up the ditra with mortar before I start installing tile. This ditra heat Duo is so flexible even if it's filled the little divots and eventually push down and up and I could see where things could start popping out and cause me problems
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 07-07-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #194
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, something like that. I would make the top piece tilt toward the shower just a little.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #195
Elkski

well I am looking at the layout and directions to install the Linear drain grate and the Dilex-eke. im not sure about the speed bump needing to be so prnounced. Maybe I will go with one flatish tile about 1.5" wide slightly sloping onto the shower as a transition from up the Ramp to slope going down to the drain.
If my drain grate came with some sort of foam insert i tossed it when I opened the box the other day. I will make wood blocks to keep the width from narrowing when I thinset it in. . Note to others open your linear drain box when you get it because my flange on one end was bent real bad... luckily I love bending metal and I was able to get the flange mostly flat again.
The instruction book that came in the box was worthless. it was just the basic shower install book.
I dislike this idea of setting the grate before the tile at some height that I have to guess a 1/2" square trowel will put me at? I guess it will give me a good scree line for the tile. I will try to set the grate level what ever height I decide. I'm thinking I will cut and set my complicated Dilex along the floor first... then set the grate to match the Dilex-EKE
My question is do I plan on a grout like of 1/16" below the Dilex like they show in some illustrations and videos? or flush. I don't understand this grout line unless it is for a fudge factor because flush is not so easy to achieve?

are these the best instructions?
https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...E/p/KERDI_LINE
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase