Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #526
Pete1972
Jack of all trades, master of none

I'm amazed at how many tradesmen want to go through joists as option #1. My house has these massive timbers, they must be 10x10, that span the foundation piers and support the floor joists in the crawlspace. Both the electrician and the plumber (who's work I had to completely redo) asked if they could bore through them to run lines.

"No. Go around/under them."

Sometimes I think they just want to use some of their fancy tools that they don't get to play with much.
Pete1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #527
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Usually the reason is lack of creativity combined with a not-so thorough understanding of the plumbing code.

Carefully typed on teensy keys by thinset coated and calloused fingers.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #528
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Question Sealing front of toilet to floor with grout question

Background: I going to seal the front 2/3 of the toilet to floor gap to keep the "misses" from getting under the toilet (yech!). I noted in a separate post that CX and other professional's have used the matching floor grout to fill this in. I like the idea of using the grout but have concerns the Spectralock grout will result in a permanent grout line that may be an issue if the toilet is moved.

Question: Is this a concern when using standard grouts? Or do you just line up the toilet to match the old grout line if you have to remove it?

I can always use white silicon but like the idea of the grout.
PC7060 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #529
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I prefer white silicone; when you go to repair the terlit later, you can easily match the white silicone.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #530
Pete1972

I noticed a grouted toilet in one of the nationally-known flagged hotels I stayed in while traveling this past weekend. The first thing that crossed my mind was "I hope they don't ever have to pull or replace that toilet."

Personally I don't like the look of caulk around the outside base of the toilet, so I don't do it.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #531
cx
Moderator emeritus

PC, you won't find grouting under the terlit specified in any construction industry standards, but I have always done that in new construction when setting the toilet over ceramic tile and will likely continue to do so. It's a nice look.

I've not found it to be a problem in removal and replacement of the toilets, although the same treatment is not an option when replacing toilets in remodel. I generally set the toilet and then caulk around the base with an appropriate color in remodeling work.

Important consideration in any case is to leave the back portion of the toilet/floor joint unsealed so that any possible leak will be noticed before serious damage has occurred.

[Edit] I've heard from a good number of people who agree with Pete and prefer no treatment of the joint at all. I just don't like that unfinished look.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #532
PC7060

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind the silicon if neatly done and the grout seems like a nice look. I'll run by the boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Personally I don't like the look of caulk around the outside base of the toilet, so I don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I've heard from a good number of people who agree with Pete and prefer no treatment of the joint at all. I just don't like that unfinished look.
Good thing you have a daughter, Pete! My preference have definitely changed over the years. Anyone who has boys in the house ( or men who UUI ) will appreciate the need to seal the front of the toilets.

Here a link to a good discussion of the problem including Paul's recommendation to use a Cheerio for training purposes!
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #533
PC7060

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Important consideration in any case is to leave the back portion of the toilet/floor joint unsealed so that any possible leak will be noticed before serious damage has occurred.
Good point! I try to stop at the bolts which is covers about 2/3 of the base
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #534
Lakee911

I prefer silicone and only the front (7/8 or so)...leave the back open.
i usually silicone the flange to the floor too and the grout lines ... anything to keep any water that might get under there from getting under the floor.
Lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #535
PC7060

Question to Pete re Anatolia tile

I'm working with Mrs. PC to select the color options for the Master Bath. Her initial preference was to use the Pulpis GRey 12x24 on the shower wall and a darker shade for the floor. However, after looking at the sample of the Moca, we are considering other options.

We're looking at the Pulpis grey on the floor with either the Calcutta or the Carrara on the wall in the 12x24 format. See below for a image of the Classic Marble HD tile colors from Anatolia.

Name:  Anatolia Classic Marble HD.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  10.4 KB

Pete - my question is regarding the Carrara, the image shown had a lot of color contrasting veins in the tiles but the sample I have and have seen at B&F Ceramics have subtle light grey veining. This seems to correlate to what I've seen of the tile in your bath but wanted to get your feedback.

The Calcutta sample I have does have much stronger grey veins which would work well with the Pulpis Grey.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Last edited by PC7060; 06-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #536
Pete1972

The Carrara veining seems to vary from the wall tiles and floor tile. The image you posted above is definitely a floor tile; I recognize the veining as such (see photo below). I think both the wall and floor tile are pretty convincing, but yes the veining is more pronounced in the floor tiles (and more authetic looking to me). One thing that would help would be if some if the tiles were a majority of the darker veining color with just a little "white" in them. If you look at a random field if real Carrara tiles there's always darker tiles scattered about.

Hope that helps some.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  15.5 KB

Last edited by Pete1972; 06-08-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #537
PC7060

Thanks for the information and the picture, both very helpful. The floor tile you show matches the sample pretty well. I'll try to pick up a sample of the carara and calcutta to see what the boss thinks.

Last edited by PC7060; 06-08-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #538
PC7060

Discussed your inputs with the boss, Pete and the saga continues. I placed all the tile sample in the master bath this am so Mrs. PC could see them in natural lighting and we have revised our previous position (yay) and are again considering the Pulpis Moca for the floor and the grey for the shower walls, both in the 12x24 format. The colors proved a nice contrast and the "random" patterns are the same set.

I've included a picture of the sample tiles in our nasty master bath.

Name:  20130608_124712.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  28.5 KB

Current design plans are to rip out the tub, shrink the size of the vanity (mine not hers ) 3" in depth and 6" in width to 18"x30" using the same style unit as hall bath; move the "terlet" over 5" and extend the depth of the new shower from 30" to 34" outside/30" inside of curb and a width of 59". This should give us a extra inch on each side of the toilet which is currently only 14" from the vanity.

Grout color will be silver shadow which should bring out the lighter color elements of the darker tiles . Will keep the same offset pattern for the floor but are considering orienting the wall tiles vertically similar to Jim_c shower.

Feel free to offer inputs and suggestions cuz we are just throwing ideas around at this point.

Last edited by PC7060; 06-08-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: flip photo
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #539
PC7060

Thinset / Spectralock Bunny

Forgot to post the recent pictures of the Thinset and SpectraLock Yard Bunnies created by Mrs. PC and my daughter.

Mrs. PC's Bunny and mushroom in SL Smoke Grey
Name:  20130608_175420.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  49.3 KB

My daughter's SL Silver Shadow bunny and mushroom
Name:  20130608_175441.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  49.7 KB

The yard bunny family.
Name:  20130608_175540.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  48.3 KB
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #540
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

The mocha seems to be a real outlier, color-wise. I think the brown tone might make it look dingy next to the pulpis grey. Though it might just be the pictures. If it were my bath (and I have odd taste, so feel free to completely ignore me ) I would use the grey on the floor and carrera on the wall, maybe with some accents of the grey to tie everything together.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase