Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Dazed & Confused

Deflecto calculations

I am looking to install a ceramic tile floor in my kitchen. I am down to the 4.5 x 3/4 floor planks. The deflecto calculator on your website suggest that ceramic flooring will not be acceptable for my floor and joist.

I have received estimates from several installers. Not one mentioned the deflecto calculations. Most of my basement is finished living area. The utility room, where most of the kitchen floor is located, is exposed. They examined the joist and planked flooring no one ever suggested that I could not tile the floor above. Are there other factors that the calculator does not take under consideration?

The joist are 7.25 x 1.5. The distance between the joists is variable. The outside joist measure 14.75 inches the rest are 13 to 13.75 inches. Length appears to be 14 - 16 feet. Could be longer I don't know. I can measure 14 feet. The rest is located in the finished section and below ground level to outside wall. There is a steel beam located at 13.5ft from outside wall. Also there is diagonal bridging running the width of the kitchen floor. The floor seems to be in good shape. I have not idea of what type of wood this is.

There is some squeaking. Adding screws to joist stopped the squeaking in the two board that I tried. Should I do this to the rest of the floor before having the 1/2 plywood installed?

I have uploaded pictures hopefully this helps.Name:  topview.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  bottomview.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  28.3 KB

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed at this point

Last edited by Dazed & Confused; 05-22-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the distance between joist
Dazed & Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Dazed & Confused

Question Deflecto Calculations

Hi Bob,

Correction: My tiles are 6 x 6 porcelain and not ceramic. There does appear to sister boards running together towards the end of the joist in the utility room. The measurable overlap is approximately 1 foot. The rest is located in the finished area. I can't tell.

My floor is definitely solid. With minimal squeaking in high traffic areas.

Resting on top of the steel support column I mention is three 1-1/2 thick beams running horizontal which apparently runs the length of the house.

Will any of this make a difference in deflecto calculations?

Thanks
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dee.

Porcelain tiles are ceramic tiles. More dense and generally harder ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee
There does appear to sister boards running together towards the end of the joist in the utility room. The measurable overlap is approximately 1 foot.
'Fraid I'm not understanding at all what you're telling us there. A drawing or a photo of that area, perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee
Resting on top of the steel support column I mention is three 1-1/2 thick beams running horizontal which apparently runs the length of the house.
Again, a drawing or marked up photo would help. I really can't see what you're describing from over here even if I stand on Paul's chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee
Will any of this make a difference in deflecto calculations?
May very well if we can figger out for sure what "any of this" is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee
My floor is definitely solid. With minimal squeaking in high traffic areas.
You want no squeaks in any area. Squeaks indicate movement. Ceramic tiles do not like movement. At all. None.

Get some decking screws in those subflooring boards to stabilize them. I strongly recommend pre-drilling the boards, too. A really big PITA? Yep. A bigger PITA than a tile installation failure? Nope.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Nope, even with the winder open I can't see nuttin.

Try laying on the (basement) floor and taking a picture of the joists in question.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase