Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
speed51133

New shower project

Finishing up my sister's spare bathroom shower. I started this last year! Starting a new job in a week and have some time.
Attached Images

Unread 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
speed51133

Another
Attached Images

Unread 01-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
speed51133

Cutting for the drain was no fun. I have some tiny triangle's to fit last.

I numbered all the sheets and then took them off. Implant to spread the mortar on the entire floor them set them, drain sheet first, then work my way out to the sides.

Any tips??
Attached Images

Last edited by speed51133; 01-07-2020 at 03:30 PM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
speed51133

Made sure progress. Set the curb slab and tiled the sides of the curb. Also set all the mosaics.

The curb top is a glass material from floor and decor. It feels like quartz, but they say it is glass.
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
speed51133

Some progress... It's slow going man...

I am hoping to now cut two courses of tiles and set them in one shot. The first row was tedious getting all the times cut so there top would be even. I used a schluter tray and cut some sides unevenly...
Attached Images

Unread 01-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
speed51133

A little more progress.

I have been mixing a little less than half of a bag of mortar at a time. This lasts me 3 hours of seeing tile. I can do about 9 tiles in that time. I spend the rest of the time measuring and cutting tiles before I mix the mortar.

It's too hard for me to cut all of them and get the spacing right. I bet layout software that can accommodate for any variations would help here. A helper would also help.

I had some problems with the leveling clips. The "gun" to tension them kept getting stuck and wouldn't release. I think this was because mortar was clogging it. I exchanged it for a new one and soaked it in vegetable oil and that seemed to help. I bought this leveling system because the clips double as spacers in my layout size , .125in, and it was in stock. Lowe's HD, floor and decor, etc did not have any other options.

Also, getting the spaces just right and making sure all the tiles are vertically plumb and making adjustments just took time. The niche also was a PITA. I used kerdi fix to set the pencils and it cures pretty fast. They were moving around too much with mortar.

I've been using a harbor freight diamond back 10in saw. It works great but the blade it comes with wobbles a bit when cutting by an edge. I switched it to a DeWalt and it never wobbles, but the DeWalt is much thicker and seems to require a much slower feed rate to avoid Mico chips along the cut.

It's been fun, but my new job starts Monday. Who knows when I will finish!!?
Attached Images

Unread 01-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The DiamondBack, by all accounts is a pretty decent product, but you are correct...their blades suck. Next time, try the T3Razor.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
speed51133

I got the DeWalt dw4764 because I can get it at discount. It's a 60 dollar blade and I got it for like 24 bucks.

That's even less than a new harbor freight blade!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase