Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
ddorgan

subway tile solution

Hi, I am in the middle of tiling my tub/shower surround. Probably a no no but I choose to place the hardibacker board above the acrylic tub flange so I wouldn't have to deal with re-sheetrocking the rest of the bathroom.

I would like to use 3x6 subway tile for the surround but am staring to worry about the gap between the hardibacker and top of the tub with the smaller tile. My guess is that this has been done before but would like any suggestions if i need anything else to support the subway tile between the hardibacker and the top of the tub. (probably 1" gap). thanks.
Unread 05-25-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Program won't let me respond to your PM for reasons unknown, sorry. For editing your signature, click on User CP in blue bar near top of page. Look left for Settings & Options. Below that is Edit Signature.

More important question on your tile installation is how you've waterproofed that junction of the CBU wallboard and the tub's tiling flange. How was that done?

If that was done properly, you should be able to bond two of the three inches of your tile to the wallboard, which should be sufficient.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #3
ddorgan

For the junction between the CBU and flange I applied 6" door/window flashing tape from the top of the flange behind the CBU. here is pic

Name:  IMG_2092.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  97.2 KB
Unread 05-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

It's hard to tell from the pic but it's critical that the flange doesn't protrude past the Hardibacker.

Next, even though it's flashed there is still a gap between the Hardibacker and the flange. That should be sealed.

Further, it looks like you have the new, waterproof Hardibacker? If so, how do they require that the seams and penetrations are sealed? That might be what you want to use to seal that gap.

Finally, one of the drawbacks to installing Hardi above the flange is just what you've run into. You'll have to start with a full tile around the flange and you'll probably only be bonding about an inch or maybe 1.5 inches of the tile.
Unread 05-26-2022, 12:49 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Next, even though it's flashed there is still a gap between the Hardibacker and the flange. That should be sealed.
I'll respectfully disagree with that. I would leave that joint open.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase