Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Peter76

Shower niche, design advice appreciated

After I read up on how to build those nice shower niches, I am just left with one little problem, where I would like your opinion on what to do with it.

I am going to build a nice on the side wall of the shower, as close as possible to the wall where the shower head is to avoid spill and make sure my wife doesn't have to run around in the shower to get the things out of the niche. Now, I have a 1/2" copper pipe running from a diverter to the other end of the shower to supply a hand shower next to the bench I am building. The pipe is running a bit higher than 4' height from the finished floor. Now I would ideally like to put in a niche that is about 28" tall and has a shelf in the middle. Unfortunately, if I would build it below the pipe, you would have to crawl around in the shower to get your stuff out of the niche and if I put it above the pipe, it's too high.

Question is now, should I scrap my plans of a 28" tall niche and just put a 14" (all are finished heights) in above the pipe or is there a way to build the niche around the pipe and still make it look good? Like if I would use a 2x4 to "hide" the pipe in and use that as the shelf, so essentially build 1 niche below and 1 above the pipe? I am just unsure if that really makes sense and still looks good, because it really then will look like two niches on top of each other. Or, since I will also put in a niche behind the bench, should I just settle on one nice above the pipe and don't worry about making it bigger?

I hope you get what I'm trying to say What are your opinions on that?
Unread 08-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

Simple solution, move the pipe. Just make it "U" around the niche.

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
rktect

Exclamation

^ I concurr . . . move the pipe . . . a handfull of copper fittings and you can have whatever niche you want . . .

If you don't, you'll regret it every time your wife's Costco size bottle of conditioner doesn't fit on the shelf . . . .

Jack of all trades and master of none . . . .
rktect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Peter76

I just read the two responses and smacked myself... I stared at the wall with the pipe and the place I wanted to put the niche in and did that extensively yesterday over a beer or two... And now reading the responses make me feel like an idiot. I should have come up with that myself, but for some reason I didn't.

Thanks guys!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase