Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
kerklein2

Help with adding thickness to slab

I have a converted carport that has a 1.75" step up along the back 40" of it. I'm remodeling this room and it'd be great to level that all off. It's about 350sf. That bulk of the room will receive a stranded bamboo flooring, while about 60sf is undecided but I'm pushing for tile (it's the laundry room). The foundation also won't be perfectly level due to it being a carport originally. We'll see how close the foundation repair company gets it.

What's the best strategy to level this all out when considering materials cost and effort?
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  2.png
Views: 6
Size:  74.3 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 07-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.
kerklein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
rmckee84

Bonded mud job would be the most cost effective and practical way.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I agree on bonded mud. Pea-gravel concrete is also an option. You'll have a joint where it meets the 40 in. section either way. I'm a mud man so I would choose deck mud.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
kerklein2

What is meant by bonded mud? A slab preparation process (mechanical scarifying?) that ensures the mud bonds well to the slab?

Does the mud need steel reinforcing at that thickness? Is it a suitable substrate for wood flooring (assuming standard underlayments).

Gonna be a lot of mud...any tips for buying, transporting, and mixing that much?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The best tool for this job is a telephone. You'll need a seasoned crew of a few strong men to make this job happen.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
kerklein2

Was afraid of that. You do any work in Austin?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Assuming the carport doesn't have oil stains and other crud on it (that's probably NOT the case), you'd bond the mudbed to it with either a slurry of Portland cement, or a coat of thinset which then must be covered by the deckmud before it dries or cures to create the bond.

If the concrete is not clean, you may need to scarcify it first. Do NOT use chemicals to clean the surface of contaminants. Water sprinkled on the surface MUST get absorbed and not bead up if it's going to work.

Since you don't want it to be super thick, you wouldn't want to do an unbonded mudbed which would require reinforcement and more thickness.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Is it a suitable substrate for wood flooring (assuming standard underlayments).
We'd need to know what type of flooring you plan to install, Shaun, as in floating, nail-down, glue-down, other.

And I'm afraid I don't know what you might mean by "standard underlayments" in that application.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
kerklein2

Don't have the flooring picked out yet. Just trying to find out if leveling with the step is feasible.

Definitely not nail down

Probably floating as I've got current issues with my glued down floor and moisture migration but I suppose that's mitigated with proper install.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

Deck mud would be a suitable substrate for a floating floor, but I expect the flooring manufacturer will want a month's worth of curing/drying before installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
kerklein2

A month? Ouch. Safe to walk and such on it in that time?

Any other options?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You can walk on it the next day. Normal ceement has a 28 day curing period

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
cx
Da Home Builder

If you plan to do any walking on the mud I'd recommend you cover the walking area with plywood for the duration.

Check with the flooring manufacturer on the drying time requirement, but you'll want it well cured and very dry before putting down the wood.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

There is an excess of moisture in a typical mortar mix that is not needed to be incorporated into the cement crystalline structure and will continue to evaporate. This can definitely affect a wood substrate installed above it. One of the few finishes that can be used over green cement based products is Ditra, which you could use in the areas you want to tile (I suppose, you could use it everywhere, but it seems like it would be somewhat of a waste). The raised grid structure of Ditra allows the slab to breath and dry out.

Most any floating, engineered wood floor will require a slip sheet. Some of them might provide a sufficient vapor barrier to allow installing the floor earlier, but keep in mind, the mud will take time to reach full strength even if you can walk on it, that doesn't mean you should do much over it. One I used for mine was a couple of plastic sheets with foam beads in between that you sealed the seams with to create a vapor barrier.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
kerklein2

Thanks for the replies guys. One quick follow up...Why deck mud instead of just plain old concrete?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase