Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #16
Kittil

They filled it up about 2 inches, it started dripping into the kitchen within 5-10 minutes so they drained it almost immediately after that.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A very common thing to do with a liner is to poke holes into it over the curb by trying to install cement board verses mudding over it. Since that is typically done after the flood test, you won't know they ruined the waterproofing until it's too late. So, it could be holes in the liner at the curb, or around the drain (no sealant to the drain?), or both. Or, they could have poked a hole in the liner somewhere else either intentionally or accidentally, or failed to use curb corners where the liner must be cut to wrap over the curb.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #18
Kittil

Why do you think the pan out whatever is causing the leak would happen 3-4 years after installing it?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #19
cx
Da Home Builder

That's an easy one, Kitti: I dunno.

In the wise words of my old mentor when I was in the military electronics repair business, "Everything that's gonna fail is gonna fail sometime." That was usually in response to a pilot's query as to why his radio quit just when he needed it most.

With shower failures, we can't tell you when, or even for sure if, it will fail. We can give you advice on the likelihood that it will fail, given sufficient information about how it was constructed, but we can't really guarantee failures any more than we can guarantee successes. And even in those installations where we can say with relative certainty that a premature failure is likely, we really can't tell you how long it will take.

That sufficiently vague for your needs?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #20
Kittil

I think that's completely reasonable. How long do you think a reasonable guarantee for this type of work is? Meaning, if something goes bad after X number of days/months/years would you come back and fix it and consider it your responsibility? Is there such a thing?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Does your state require warranties ?

Adding your location to your User CP would really help. Use the link in the dark blue bar above.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #22
Kittil

Hi Paul,

I just added my location. I live in Wayne, NJ. I dont know if NJ requires warranties. I'll see if I can find out.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #23
Kittil

I looked. The only thing I can find is on new home warranties.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

Personally, it would hafta be a whole lot older than four years for me not to consider it warranty work if the failure was the result of my, or my subcontractor's, error, Kitti, but that's not common in the construction industry. Any shower that leaks in the first thirty years should be considered a premature failure to my thinking.

There is not supposed to be a statute of limitations on failures caused by improper installation, but you can generally forget that after the more common one year warranty period. And without opening up the shower floor there is no real way to determine the cause of the failure, I'm afraid.

Did you pay for a home inspection when you purchased the house, and, if so, were you given any sort of warranty in conjunction with that?

Old 07-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #25
Kittil

I did pay for an inspection. I wasn't given any warranty with it though. I reached out to the company that did the work and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I feel like they probably won't either. I've spoken to a few neighbors about it and when I say the company name they all look shocked that it failed bc this guy is known for being very expensive. IDK... It totally sucks. Could be worse though, first world problems aren't really that bad, just annoying.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #26
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Sounds like you have a vinyl liner. In that case there are no manufacturers warranties available, just what your contractor would offer. Have you checked his web site to see if he mentions warranty on his site?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #27
Kittil

Here's the guy that did it :

http://creativekandb.com/

I dont see anything related to a warranty. I guess I should ask the people were considering what their guarantee is.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #28
cx
Da Home Builder

If the folks with that big ol' fancy website and list of testimonials won't even answer your mail, call them and schedule an appointment for a bath remodel and point out that your shower leaks after only a few years and see if they recognize it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase