Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #31
RockBait

Quote:
Asking for opinions on setting materials can be a loaded question...100% honesty I wouldn't suggest either of those. Power grout has had a lot of issues lately that has led to the gout either leeching color, or not getting hard. Premixed like cq is convenient but I wouldn't personally use it on a shower floor.

Laticrete permacolor select, ardex fl, or epoxy grout from either of those brands would be my suggestion.
Jack and Lou - Thanks for the quick responses! Looks like I have more homework to do. Laticrete and Mapei are both available locally.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #32
RockBait

Mosaic and Marble Cutting

Again I can't thank the pro's here enough for all of the help and tips I've received. I wouldn't be closing in on the finish line without it.

Now that I'm about to start cutting tile a new batch of questions are bubbling up. I've researched cutting mosaics and understand the options from taping the front or mounting to kerdi to using a scrap tile or hardi board underneath to stabilize thru the blade. Those tend to address straight cuts of one angle or another. I need to cut my mosaics to fit in an arched niche. (See pic below) The mosaics are a 1/2 inch mix of marble, glass and what looks like travertine. I'll also have to cut across two sheets as the niche is 14 inches wide.
  • Are there any best practices or proven methods to cut mosaics on a curve? My big concern is pieces shifting as some cuts will be slices or slivers.
  • Do I cut with the face up or down?
  • Can I do this with the wet saw or should I score each piece and do it by hand with the grinder or ???
  • Anything else I should know or consider?
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #33
073Manager

Good old fashioned nippers may be your best option for that. The Perimeter should be caulked to hide some imperfections in the cuts. Set the back first to allow for the sides to help hide some of these as well.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #34
RockBait

Quote:
Good old fashioned nippers may be your best option for that. The Perimeter should be caulked to hide some imperfections in the cuts. Set the back first to allow for the sides to help hide some of these as well.
Brilliant! Thanks Vincent. Guess I was over thinking it. So niche tiling sequence would be - marble shelf on base, mosaic back, bull nose sides and piece in the inside top of the arch with cut bull nose. (I'm not using a profile or picture framing the outside of the niche)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #35
RockBait

Ledger Board Calc

Vacation this year is being spent in the Master Bath. Do have a question or 2 before I dive back in. I'll do the all the floor work last so I'm looking at where to have my ledger board.

How much of the first row tiles do you figure to sacrifice? I've figured I have 2 1/2 inches of floor height to consider (includes pan, tile, thinset and gap at the wall). The level line off of that goes from even to 1/4 inch drop towards the corner. The tiles are 11 3/4 x 23 5/8 rectified. I'm hoping to do a 1/16 grout line. Will go to 1/8 if I have to. So I'm thinking the top of the ledger board is 2 1/2 inches + 1/16 + ripped tile width at level?

Need to finish installing and kerdi the bench. Everything is measured, assembled and drilled. When I start tiling I thought I'd start in the back left corner and tile over to the bench and up to the window before cutting in the bench. It'll let me work on leveling tiles and setting good lines. I'll need the bench practice before I cut in the quatrefoil window. Any problems taking that approach?

On a death mission to shower in it by the end of the month. Appreciate all of the advice and insights that have gotten me so close.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #36
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Since you are doing a banded, kerdi floor you will be building up the floor. Plus, you'll be banding up the wall a few inches which will yield build up which needs to be feathered out with 12 inches of room for the trowel.

Why not get the floor and everything 100% waterproofed, do a flood test, then tile ? You can protect the floor and tile the walls first, or tile the floor first.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #37
RockBait

Thanks Paul. I'll definitely consider that approach. It would certainly make the first row easier to start if there's only a couple of tiles that need trimmed down. I am a bit nervous about working over a new floor - although my ability to get more thinset on the wall than the floor has improved.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #38
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I would want all the drywall work done before installing the Kerdi. If you're hiring that work done, you'll need to take extreme measures to ensure that the drywall finishers leave your shower area alone. The only way I've ever found that works is to stand in the shower area and issue threats to anyone who brings drywall mud into that area. You may need to be armed.
Lol, ain't that the truth. What is it with drywallers?
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #39
RockBait

Quote:
Lol, ain't that the truth. What is it with drywallers?
It was good advice. Did everything but the finish coat myself. Glad it was done when I kerdi'd.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #40
RockBait

Tile Layout

Paul - I'm going floor up I like the idea of starting with the first row already level and cut into the floor.

Finishing all prep and drain / pan this week-end. Start tiling next week-end. I'm finalizing my tile layout, but not sure what to do about the side walls. Back wall is 81 inches and rough estimates are 3 full tiles and 1 9 1/2 to 10 inch piece on each row to the window. Close enough to 1/3 overlap.

The side walls are almost 51 inches. Which is roughly 2 full tiles and the 3 inch bullnose. I don't want to stack them. Thinking I should go with an 8 and 16 inch mix and 1 full tile on each row. Also thought about 15 inches in the corner across from the nines and 9 on the outside end next to the bull nose. Hard to picture what a balanced solution is. Probably no noticeable difference between the two. Is there some secret formula for this?
Attached Images

Last edited by RockBait; 07-06-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Add Picture
RockBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #41
RockBait

Progress at last. Floor, drain, bench are in and ready to kerdi!
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #42
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looking good Ray. I'm so looking forward to getting the tile stage.

Love the hard but flexible rubber mat idea to protect the floor.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #43
RockBait

Another First!

Well no one wanted to fab some small granite pieces so I've now added granite fabrication to my list of firsts since starting this journey Not that I want to repeat the experience any time soon, but I did get some cool tools outta the deal.

I know I've been threatening to start tiling but it is happening this week-end. No, really it is.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #44
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Really nice looking bullnose. Be sure and post us more pics that includes that beautiful window.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 07-27-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #45
RockBait

Tiling the Bench

So I'm tiling floor then walls, back wall first to bury the corner lines. I have a better bench spanning the wet wall on the right - between back wall and pony wall. Do I tile the bench before the back wall, pony wall and wet wall to get those tiles on top of the bench tiles? The bench will be tiled in the same 12 x 24 wall tiles and bull nose. (All the kerdi work and flood test are done)
Attached Images

Last edited by RockBait; 07-29-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Add Pic
RockBait is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase