Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Tyl0r

Built-in Diverter Valve

Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if this will work just fine for my shower redo. I purchased a Grohe trim piece that has a built in diverter valve + a valve(see attachments)I'm trying to install a rainshower AND a regular shower head. Is there any reason why I cannot use the built-in diverter which would normally be used for a TUB spout to pour water but instead to activate the rain shower? (That way I don't have to buy another diverter, another valve, more plumbing stuff etc) just to make it a seperate handle is all (I don't care about having two handles)

thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

May want to ask at terrylove.com, lots of plumbers there. Or call grohe?

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Tyl0r

Okay thanks!
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
JEC

Tylor, There is no reason you can not do that. However, look at the port holes, usually one is larger than the others. If there is one larger, Use the largest hole on the "item" that uses the most gpm.ie rain head, body sprays, etc. If you have a true rain head, then I would use it for that. I just installed my Grohe and love it. High quality no doubt ....

www.chadwellandsons.com
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Honeydo

It really needs a positive stop to function correctly. It very well might have that but you need to know.

Otherwise, a normal tub diverter without them will work in the normal configuration but when you try to use the tub spout outlet water will simply seek the lowest pressure avenue of the two.
In normal operatuion, the tub spout being larger and able to handle all the water flow doesn't allow it to back up the shower arm even though there is no stop on that leg. Put a showerhead on the tub one and you'd end up diverting some, not being able to shut off the shower one without some additional stop and possibly having inadequate pressure in both.

Some higher end valves in anticipation of use for multiple showerheads now do have positive stops so check the specs.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase