Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
mudduckk
@mudduck

Send a message via Skype™ to mudduckk
How To Modify Linear Drain for Rubber Pan Liner System

For those of you who, like me, prefer 40-mil PVC rubber waterproofing liner, a-la TCNA B-414/415 as their shower waterproofing system of choice, because it is tried and true and less expensive than membrane alternatives, and you want to use one of the awesome new linear drains from Schluter (Schluter Line) or Noble (Freestyle) which work so well with large format tile and slab shower floors, but are designed to integrate with their pricey proprietary membranes and are damage prone by virtue of their position within the floor section, here is a video which shows you how to modify the drain to work with a PVC clamping ring.

Click (here) for the video on Youtube.

Disclaimers: No Schluters or Nobles were hurt in the making of this film, but do not expect either firm to give you a product warranty by following this how-to. You are on your own, but then haven't we always been on our own with TCNA B414/415. So far, so good.

Disclosure: I am friends with both these firms. I buy lots of their products and you should too. But I'm not about to put my waterproofing on top of a shower floor section. (too risky for me)

Happy Tiling!

Happy Tiling!
mudduckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Pretty interesting, but it really doesn't make sence to me that you are afraid to use a surface applied membrane (that work very well btw, and give you benefits that a pan liner won't give you) but you are willing to rig system up.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
bulldog tile

Infinity drain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcmHWdh4XE

http://infinitydrain.com/

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by bulldog tile; 10-06-2011 at 05:39 PM.
bulldog tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

I dunno, Malcolm, just how you see that as an improvement. Your argument that the surface-applied waterproofing membranes are somehow more subject to damage from later construction when they're in place just doesn't make much sense to me. Why would your PVC membrane not be subject to the same hazards?

Especially when with the direct bonding waterproofing I can even wait until my shower is nearly finished before ever even setting the drain, let alone the waterproofing on the shower floor. By the time my floor is waterproofed there is very little additional work to be done in there.

And, of course, if you really want the system you're cobbling together there, why not just purchase one? Like the Infinity that Donnie posted or the Quartz drain, or..........

Guess I'm missing the point.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 10-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

some people like to over think things and maybe do more work that isn't necessary.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
mudduckk
@mudduck

@bulldog @CX

Was not aware of Infinity drain. Will give it a look. Have seven shower jumps coming up.

Happy Tiling!
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Malcolm,

I would look more into the Quartz Linear Shower Drain CPE Membrane Fitting link cx posted.

save you tons of wasted time fabricating .

Name:  quartz_shower_cpe.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  15.9 KB

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^

Last edited by jgleason; 10-07-2011 at 06:34 AM.
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
mudduckk
@mudduck

@ceramitec @CX

looking into the quartz too. Like the price point compared to Noble Freestyle.

Happy Tiling!
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Although it seems you have done your homework, I think that the links show a much simpler answer to your project.
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
mudduckk
@mudduck

OK guys. Done the research. I like that Quartz and Infinity have the 2" outlet. Fitting a 2" nipple to a Noble Freestyle was the point of the vid.

While some of you commented that what I did looked like a lot of work, I assure you the work in assembling an Infinity drain requires more effort.

Meanwhile, Quartz is 40% more costly than comparable Noble Frestylies. So on my 7 tub jump project, I'm getting a $200 advantage per unit. I'll take $200 for the effort of fitting a nipple any day. $1400 is a lot of cabbage. Drinks are on me at the next Redwings game.

I would like to see the marketing guys and gals at ACO, the makers of the Quartz drain, re-position product in tile distributorships. This would help close the price gap on this great product. Currently quartz drain is distributed through Ferguson Ent., the plumbing supply giant. As we all know, the more you buy at your local distributor, the better pricing you get. A tile guy is never gonna get a price break at a plumbing supplier. ACO would move a ton of units if they got into either Dal (not happening) or your local Crossville pimp. I smell bonus. Please make out the check to Mr. Mudduckk. Heavy on the d's and k's please.

Happy Tiling!
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #11
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I would be interested to see Eric chime in and see if the Freestyle Drains warranty would hold up. If there was ever a failure and someone like Dave Gobis was doing the inspection....that $1400 you pocketed would surely be eaten up quickly in legal fees. I've ripped up enough shower pans to see that building a shower ontop of a giant sponge isn't the best idea.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
There are lots of linear drains on the market, and there will be lots more, which will bring prices down. I think I can find better ways to save money and still provide a product that Gobis could dissect and come up smiling.

Secondly, I don't see how you could get the drain positioned at the very edge of the shower floor and make the pan work properly with the lower drain flange. That to me is the true beauty of the surface waterproofing membrane.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase