Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Fatsix

I have Rush River Dark Emperador stone. 12x12.
While trying to figure out which patterns i want to use. I noticed it has a resin type coating with ceramic bits sprinkled on the back. Can I use ditraset or versabond between the tile and ditra/kerdi?

As far as patterns go, what are your thoughts? 7x7 with shower tub alcove, and 48ish" high around the rest of the room with border. There will be two alcoves on one wall with the accent tile in them as well as one strip on the opposite wall. Would multiple types of patterns look ok in a small bathroom? This would be done with all the same color tile. I'm not "feeling" the subway style stone for everything as shown in the picture. I don't like the area around the window either.

Floor: 12x12 Diagonal.
Walls: 3x5 subway as of right now. I like offset dot. She said no to herringbone.
Shower:Is the mosaic on the entire back wall too much? Above the 48" in the shower I think i want to switch patterns to a diamond or diagonal offset dot.
Attached Images

Unread 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
Fatsix

Any input on which tile patterns to stay away from with a small bathroom?
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

My personal feeling is that there is nothing on earth you can do to make a tiny bathroom look big, so this is the one place in your house you can do whatever wild things float your boat. This is by no means a universal opinion, but I thought I should throw it out there.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Fatsix

I have a question about using kerdi fix. Should I seal the ditra to the bottom of the tub with it or use silicone. Also on the front side of the tub where the wall comes to a corner. Should I run the kerdi a touch long and tack it to the side of the tub, or just kerdi fix where the sheetrock buts up against the tub. This is the typical corner that leaks and rots the floor out underneath... When doing the tub lip around the 3 sides, do you guys let the mortar dry, then tack the edge down to the tub, or try to do it all in one step?
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Yes Glenn, I have certainly used kerdi fix to attach the kerdi to the tub flange. You can attach it last after attaching the kerdi with the thinset that is fine or do that the next day with the kerdi fix

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
Fatsix

What is the recommended installation method of this type of tile? Emperador dark, with a expoxy type resin with some type of ceramic or stone bits sprinkled on the back? Back butter, back burn? Can I use versabond between this tile and ditra/kerdi?
Attached Images

Unread 12-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #22
Fatsix

Anyone?
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Fatsix

The wife and I couldn't wait any longer to perform the water test. That is version 2 of the custom shower curtain. As far as sealing the tub flange I am unsure on the proper installation method. Right now it is hanging 1" longer than i need. Do I load up the flange with kerdi seal and flatten it to match the wall (ie: run the spackle knife along the wall to squegee any excess and bed the kerdi into the kerdi fix), or do i apply enough to wrap it around the edge of the sheetrock then fill the depression with thinset?
Attached Images

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
jondon

Glenn, you mean water test on the walls? Did it pass? On the overlap on the tub flange since you have your kerdi ready to go you want to go ahead and put kerdi under it, run a bead and smooth it out with a trowel to get the excess out of the kerdi so it don't bubble up. If the kerdi goes over the flange then you know water can never get behind that tub. No need to wrap it under the backerboard that wouldn't serve much purpose. Make sure for as far as that kerdi goes down the flange it will be covered with tile so you can cut any excess off if needed

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
Fatsix

I guess I gave a poor explanation. It is 1/2 deep from the face of the sheetrock to the front of the tub flange. Do I fill it completely with kerdi fix and smooth the kerdi down straight to the rim of the tub. Or do I run a smaller bead around the tub flange, and press the kerdi into it, wrapping the front lip of the sheetrock, but still only tacking the kerdi to the flange not behind. This will leave me with a recess. Then fill this recess with thinset before tiling? I'm just not sure a 1/2"x1/2" square urethane gasket is the way to go, yes it will allow the tub to move.

This picture explains what I am asking. Was posted by a member on here. Fill the entire gap with kerdi fix and bring the kerdi straight down, or work it in, using much less kerdi fix.
Attached Images

Unread 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #26
Fatsix

Found another picture of how I think i'm going to do it. I don't think loading the flange up with kerdi fix and taping it flat is right. Bed the kerdi into the fix and then partially fill that void with thin set. I'd have to slide 1/4 luan or something in there to keep the thinset from sitting on the tub. Tile, then silicon the 1/4" gap from tile to tub. Right, wrong, or makes no difference?
Attached Images

Unread 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
jondon

Glenn, the pic you just posted looks like the way to go, yes over the recessed area just thinset that in and make it flat to tile onto after you make the kerdi permanent. Would have just been a waste of kerdi fix to put that much in there anyway

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase