Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
jadziedzic
Tony Dziedzic

Where exactly in relation to tub apron ledge is a curved shower rod mounted?

(This seemed a pretty generic question so I opted to start a new thread so someone in the future might be able to find it easily.)

My dear wife is suggesting I install a curved shower curtain rod for a tub/shower combination (tiled walls if it matters). I have not been able to find a specific recommendation as to where a curved rod should be placed. I've seen variations of "about 3 inches closer to the back wall than a straight rod" and "so the midpoint of the rod is several inches past the outside rim of the tub". I'm not even that sure of the proper location for a straight rod, let alone a curved one. Moen's installation instructions state "desired location" - well, yeah, that's my desire - the correct location!

Do any of the pros have suggestions as to proper placement of a curved shower curtain rod along the side walls of the tub/shower?
Unread 05-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There is no "one location fits all". Hold it up there and make sure the curtain is inside the tub and mark the walls. Get the same measurement on each wall from the tub up to the bar.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I like the curved rods because they not only give you extra room for the person, but it also brings the open ends of the curtain closer to the inside of the shower for less water escaping. My preference is to go an inch or two to the inside front wall of the tub. If you're mounting the brackets to drywall (when the tile doesn't reach up that high), make sure to use excellent drywall anchors, or make sure you've got some wood behind the drywall to screw into due to the higher rotational forces applied to this mounting bracket. These curved shower brackets won't stay secured too long if you're using simple plastic mounting anchors.

For comparison: I'll mount a straight rod fairly close to the face of the tub apron.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase