Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
house_trained

Mastic cutback adhesive / latex paint / vinyl tiles

Dear forum,
I've been reading other posts but I remain somewhat confused . My apologies if this post is too repetitive of former posts.

My house is a 1958 ranch, which originally had those Armstrong vinyl asbestos tiles throughout. Fortunately someone else had the delight of pulling those tiles up, but they replaced the tiles with carpet, latex paint and more vinyl tiles.

What I have now is around 6 rooms which between them have: 500 square feet of concrete covered with black mastic - not sticky, just hard (currently covered with carpet). Another 450 square feet of concrete floor that is currently painted with a latex floor paint over the original black mastic. The latex floor paint will lift off the black mastic in places when it gets wet (discovered when fridge leaked). Then about 100 square feet of newer vinyl tile over the original black mastic. The newer vinyl tile could be vinyl asbestos tile.

I want to tile throughout, so I have been trying to educate myself about how to prep. If this was your house, what would you do? The concrete slab itself is in good shape. There are some old, old cracks but no vertical displacement.

Thanks for any pointers,
Katy
house_trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
bbcamp

For that much space, I'd rent a shot blaster and someone to operate it. The vinyl can be scraped up with some water spritzed on to keep the dust down.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
house_trained

Thank you Bob - presumably no problem with asbestos in the old mastic ?
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
bbcamp

There may be, depending on how old it is. Asbestos is not friable in cutback, so there is little danger of exposure and uptake. Shot blasters frequently have dust collection systems, so a little extra precautions on your part should be sufficient to protect your family. Tape/mask off the area, wear respirators and old or disposable clothing, keep the floor damp, etc.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
house_trained

Thank you again Bob, I feel greatly reassured!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase