Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
shredder

Sealer longevity vs. label info

Have you ever wondered about the dramatic difference between manufacturers printed information on the longevity of their sealers?

Example: The Aqua Mix Sealers Choice Gold label indicates it should last "up to 15 years."

Bulletproof sealer label indicates it should last 3-5 years.

10 years is quite a difference between two well regarded products that seem to be of the "high end." Does "last up to 15 years" apply to the Bulletproof the same as expected wear of 3-5 years would apply to the AM? OR, will the AM just simply last that much longer than the Bulletproof?

Any experience / opinion on real world longevity? Assuming the sealers were applied indoors to a kitchen area floor in the same conditions. Will the AM really last 3-5 times longer than the Bulletproof? Is the AM really that much more durable? Is the Bulletproof info more realistic than the claims of the AM?

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I wonder myself,maybe some of the manuf. reps will chime in.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I spoke to a rep from each company. The "up to" 15 years is in reference to an application in an area that sees no traffic (for the Aqua Mix, a granite backsplash was tested to receive those results in which evidence showed sealer present 15 years after application).

It's probably more of a marketing thing more than anything. Both companies recommend sealing every couple of years in areas that get normal traffic.

We have used both products and they are both great. You won't be disappointed with either one and their lifespan will probably be about the same in your case.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
shredder

Thanks for the posting and info! A realistic recommendation of re-sealing every few years in high traffic areas was the answer I was assuming existed based on the "up to" notation. Hard to imagine the decade difference being realistic for a floor that sees use. It is interesting to hear how the results were gathered, with sealer being present.
Unread 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
GM-Columbia

I leave written cleaning instructions with each customer, advising them to clean the grout I just sealed ONLY with a NEUTRAL stone & grout cleaner or with a little dish detergent in the mop water. I also give the following written advice:

"DO NOT USE ANY OTHER CLEANING PRODUCTS, including cleansers, abrasive pads or brushes, bleach, acidic or alkaline tile and grout cleaners, soap scum removers, vinegar, solvents, or other household cleaners. Most of these products will damage the grout or strip the sealer off of the grout."

In nine years, I have received no more than a dozen call-backs because the sealer failed or wore out. All but 2 of those customers admitted that they did not follow my instructions and had been cleaning with Pinesol or Wet Swiffers, etc. The other 2 hadn't cleaned at all, apparently believing that sealer would prevent the floors from getting dirty. [Note: I always try to take the time to go over these instructions with the customer's hired housekeepers when they don't do their own cleaning. I stress to the housekeepers or cleaning crew that if they follow my instructions, they won't have to work as hard.]

Since I have only been doing this for 9 years, I don't really know if the sealers I use will hold up as long as the manufacturers say (up to 15 years for some and up to 22 years for another), but I am impressed that they have lasted for more than just a couple of years.

The bottom line for me, however, is that I only offer a one-year warranty on the sealing, and that is voided if they violate my written cleaning instructions.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase