Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
tunaboyy

Licensed & Insured Kerdi installers in north NJ?

I'm looking to do a bathtub to shower conversion and want to do the demo and tiling. But the plumbing and shower build is what i'll need help with. Any recs on some contractors? I'll most likely be supplying all the materials.

Project thread for any discussion.

Last edited by cx; 01-24-2021 at 04:30 PM.
tunaboyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter doesn't license trained people, but they do give them a certificate if they finish a training class. If you're going to hire someone, keep in mind that they may be able to get their product cheaper than you can, and there may not be any savings if you do it. If you call them, they may be able to tell you who in your area has taken a class, and sometimes the suppliers can tell you who buys a lot of their product. Volume doesn't necessarily imply quality, though. THere are certification exams for tile installers that you might look into. Those dictate showing competence to pass rather than just showing up.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
tunaboyy

Ok thanks, i'll try giving them a call. And I meant licensed and insured to perform work, and not specifically for Schluter. If they can get the products for cheaper then that would be great. I just mentioned that because sometimes contractors mark up the materials.
Unread 01-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Rich,

Most contractors mark up their products. They buy at wholesale and mark up to retail. The thing to know is that all contractors have to make a profit in order to stay in business, and usually the best of them come at a higher price than others.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

And contractors generally will not provide any warranty on products that they don't supply.
Unread 01-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
tunaboyy

Good to know, thanks guys!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase