Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
speed51133

Using mosaics with Ditra

I am installing this mosaic tile: https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcel...efault&start=6

It is fiberglass mesh backed. The tiles measure 2inx4in and 1inx1in.

I was planning on using Ditra because I like it. I called the Schluter hotline and was told people do it, but it is not warrantied. They said pack the squares and let it set first, then set it.

Thoughts? I could also lay down kerdi on top of the ditra, thinking this might help stabilize it.

I really want to use ditra and my mom insists on this tile.....
Unread 03-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
Lou_MA

Schluter - at least the official documentation - is black and white on the min tile size 2” x 2”.

If a rep or tech support says it’s ok if you pre-full first and let dry, or cover with Kerdi, etc I’d get it in writing. And even then I’d be wary if it ever came to a warranty claim.
Unread 03-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
speed51133

warranty..ha. Show me ONE person who had a claim paid out.
Unread 03-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Lou_MA

If you’re not concerned about warranty, you’ve got their answer then. Kerdi may help, I don’t see it hurting.
Unread 03-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mike, there are other tiling substrates available that don't have a tile size limitation at all. Not sure why you'd insist upon using Ditra in a manner that is outside the stated limitations of the manufacturer when alternatives are available.

Even if you were using the product to take advantage of known and tested capabilities, once you exceed even the manufacturer's stated limits those capabilities could no longer be expected to be in effect.

Why not find a nice sheet-type crack isolation membrane to use and eliminate the concern?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It’s risky, as a point load on a small tile that just hit the worst case situation could cause the edge to sink into the plastic ridge around a pocket. You really want enough towers from the pockets beneath to support the tile better than a small one could. The fact that one length is 2” MIGHT help, but it would be really hard to tell for sure if your 400# mother-in-law in spike heels happened to step just in the right place!
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
speed51133

she uses the yard
Unread 03-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
speed51133

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx View Post
Not sure why you'd insist upon using Ditra in a manner that is outside the stated limitations of the manufacturer when alternatives are available.

Even if you were using the product to take advantage of known and tested capabilities, once you exceed even the manufacturer's stated limits those capabilities could no longer be expected to be in effect.
Not to argue CX (well a little bit but politely) but you always advocate for using Versabond with ditra/kerdi despite it being directly against Schluter's recommendations.

Is there a particular reason you think this is a bad move? Kedi is available locally and I already installed it when my mom changed her mind from a larger tile to this mosaic
Unread 03-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mike, feel free to argue with me or anyone else on this forum. I have a disclaimer at the end of most of my advice here for a reason; I might not be right, but I have an opinion on the subject.

You're correct that I frequently recommend the use of a modified thinset mortar with Schluter products in clear violation of their recommendation. You'll note that I usually also point out that such use violates the manufacturer's warranty. I usually further note that the manufacturer's warranty in those applications is usually of no value to the user.

I make that recommendation because I know the mortars I recommend will work just fine with the Schluter products. Schluter also knows that to be the case. I further reinforce my opinion by noting that ALL other manufacturers of similar products not only allow the use of such mortars, but actually require the use of the modified thinset mortars. I don't think they are all wrong and only Schluter is right. But your point is well taken and I am guilty of recommending violation of a manufacturer's instructions.

With the use of tiles smaller than that same manufacturer's recommendations over their Ditra product, I think you're not just going against Schluter's rationale, but against basic laws of physics. The Ditra creates significant voids in the thinset mortar support under the tiles as a matter of design and the manufacturer's minimum size requirement recognizes that. To suggest that filling the waffles in two steps rather than one will somehow reduce that requirement simply makes no sense to me and is not found anywhere in their written instructions. I have no way to test or verify or dispute that as I have with the modified v. unmodified mortar question, I just can't see logically how it could apply.

And as always, that's:

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
speed51133

Thanks for explaining. I agree, I do not understand why it makes any difference if you pre-pack the waffles and let them cure as opposed to at once. Maybe at once there is the possibility of not having as much mortar in there? Who knows.
Unread 03-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quoting Jim, I think this is spot on -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...could cause the edge to sink into the plastic ridge around a pocket...
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like the way my chalk lines stay down after filling the Ditra with thinset. Without pre-filling, I usually use a clear acrylic spray over my lines so they won't walk up.

I think I've used unmodified thinset with Ditra one time. Countless times I've used modified without issues. Ditra set is about the only unmodified I trust and the last time I checked, they have it priced about the same as modified. The main reason I use modified is that it's easy to find. I'm not driving across town to get Ditra set.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase