Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
lrngasigo

Noisy plumbing behind tile

I recently had my remodeled - prior to the remodel it was tiled above, with a tub below. We pulled the tub and a mud pan was set, tiled a shower with shampoo niche. There is a bathroom/toilet on the other side of the shower in the adjacent bathroom. It has always been there, but now, when it flushes, a HUGE WOOSH is audible through the (master) bathroom...in our bedroom. This was barely noticeable before, but, LOUD now.

Why? All I can figure is it is because of the recessed shampoo niche...too little space? There was tile before...and tile now. No niche before. The type of backer board?

Could this have been forseen/prevented?

What can I do now? The bathroom on the other side is primed but not painted. It would not be totally out of the question to add some soundproofing around the toilet pipe...if it would help...by removing drywall and patching back up. But the toilet pipe makes a ninety, and, runs behind on the fixture end of the shower...and that would be trickier to access/fix. Maybe I'll get used to it, but, with a full house of kids, I can't imagine spending the next 18 years waking up in the middle of the night because someone had to go!

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Nicole, welcome to the forum.

The tub may have had insulation surrounding it to deaden some of the sound. Also, was the toilet's drain line re-worked? Did you previously have cast iron pipes and now you have PVC?

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
lrngasigo

The toilet plumbing was not reworked. The shower drain was moved to the center of the shower...was a tub and so by the wall. I don't remember there being any insulation in any interior walls when we demoed. Of course there is on the exterior wall...but no plumbing there :-)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
lrngasigo

Oh, and PVC toilet drain pipe.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd check the vent stack to the outside to make sure there isn't a partial blockage

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
lrngasigo

You lost me at vent stack. I'll google it in a second, but, I don't think that is it, regardless. I think it is more a noise barrier issue than just the flusher. Voices and, er, sounds coming from the adjacent bathroom seem to come right through as well
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
lrngasigo

creative solution?

All right...what if I just cut a 'smallish' hole...and blew in some insulation? We need to have insulation put in our attic anyway. Why not just blow in this interior wall as well, to solve the problem? Any potential problems with insulation being blown in behind a tile job on an interior wall? Not normal, but, it might solve the problem?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Blown in will not have any adverse effects. Can't say how well it will work but its better than nothing.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
lrngasigo

Vent stack?!

Paul, you will never believe this. I think the loud flushing...and possibly even some of the carrying noises, could because of the vent stack. I googled it, saw a diagram, and a light bulb turned on in my sleepy brain. My vanity has not been installed yet, and, there is simply a stuffed piece of plastic in the hole between the wet vet and stack vent where my vanity will attach. There is probably a name for that. The flushing sound is probably being megaphoned right into the bathroom because there is no vanity/drain trap thingy and what not installed there? What do you think?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
eblumer
EJ Flooring

Sounds possible to me, especially if there's no trap installed where the vanity will be placed.

eblumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That plastic that's stuffed into the hole might not be sealing off the noise. Hold the palm of your hand over the "sanitary tee" fitting and have someone flush the toilet to see if the noise level drops. If so, go buy a plug from the plumbing department of any box store to temporarily seal it until the vanity is installed. It seals with a few twists of the wing nut and comes off just as easy. It'll cost about $2.

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  5.3 KB

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
lrngasigo

Definitely going to cover and flush in the morning to see if that helps with the sound. Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase