Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #16
VA Dan

Soffit and bulkhead inside shower?

Basement shower build. Back wall of 3x5 shower has a 3" drain pipe near the ceiling from an upper floor bathroom. If I go with a soffit, it will drop down about 14" from the ceiling, and project 6-8" or so, depending how tight I can frame it. (I can run my exhaust duct through here as well, since it needs to run perpendicular to the joists for a bit.) Anyway, I'm planning to have a 12" mosaic band around the top of my walls, and this soffit is interfering with my initial layout ideas. Would you run the field tiles up to the bottom of the soffit, and have the mosaic on the bulkhead and continue around the adjacent walls? Or have the band finish at the bottom of the soffit and have a few courses of field tile above it on adjacent walls? Or stop at the soffit height on all sides? The soffit would only be about 81" above shower floor, and I'd like to have shower head as high as possible so had planned to tile all the way to the ceiling. Or something else that I have not thought of? If anyone has pics of something similar I would greatly appreciate it.

Another option would be to eliminate the soffit and just fur out that wall a few more inches and sacrifice the interior shower space. Thoughts?

For reference, here is a pic of the tile scheme the Mrs has picked out for me to struggle with. And I'll post a pic of the area when I get home this evening.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 07-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Again, mostly aesthetic considerations. I would not fur down a shower ceiling unless it was structurally, or practically necessary, but that's entirely up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #18
VA Dan

I thought since it was a different topic you guys wanted it in a separate thread. Maybe someone with a soffit opinion wouldn't care to wade through this discussion on curbs and transitions?
Unread 07-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #19
VA Dan

So it’ll be a 13” tall bulkhead x 4.25” deep soffit if I build it as skinny as possible. Vs sacrificing 4.25” of shower depth if I just fur out the wall. So, what would you guys do? Is the soffit troublesome enough to make you lean towards giving up shower space? Or is the soffit no big deal, and you can see how to make it look nice with my tiles? If anyone has pictures of a similar soffit situation I would love to see some? Thanks a lot.
Attached Images

Unread 07-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #20
VA Dan

Can I get a bump here?

Mods, could you perhaps change the title of this thread to include “ soffit, curb, corners, transitions “ maybe someone with a great idea on soffits and bulkheads might be out there somewhere. Thanks

Last edited by VA Dan; 07-21-2021 at 07:14 PM.
VA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, I assure you the title of your thread makes absolutely no difference to the folks likely to respond to your questions here. Each new post bumps the thread to the top of the queue and puts it in bold print for attention. The folks who want to help will read the most recent question and if they need more information they can read back as far as they need to. I would prefer to change the title of your thread to something generic, such as Dan's Basement Shower, but that's entirely up to you. Changing the title to reflect each new question, however, is not an option.

As for your fur-down, as I said in post #17, if it's a practical necessity, then so be it. I would make it as small as possible were it mine, similar to the mock-up blocking I see in your photo. If that doesn't fit your current tile layout, make a different layout. That's just life in the big city, eh?

Unread 07-22-2021, 04:32 AM   #22
VA Dan

Thanks CX, understood.

I was not suggesting a fur-down of the ceiling as an alternative to the soffit, but furring out the wall rather. So fur out the wall = the loss of 4 inches of shower depth (~33”) but no disturbance to the tile pattern. Soffit = maintain full size available of the shower depth (~37”), but need to alter the intended look and flow of chosen tile. The decision is to soffit or to fur-out. I know it’s my decision, but I’m asking you guys what you would do if you were faced with this situation. If soffit, then what, in your experience, is the ideal way to work the tile around it?
Unread 07-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

Why can you not simply make the small bump-out soffit/fur-down enough to cover the plumbing as you show in your photo? No loss of ceiling height. No loss of floor space or elbow room. Adjust your tile pattern to make it a "feature."

Unread 07-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #24
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

What CX said. One possibility would be full height, but half (or so) width fur-out. Perhaps a niche in the furred out space.

I think the visual intrusion of a soffit would be greater than the furred out wall.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #25
VA Dan

Why can you not simply make the small bump-out soffit/fur-down enough to cover the plumbing as you show in your photo? No loss of ceiling height. No loss of floor space or elbow room. Adjust your tile pattern to make it a "feature." - CX

This was my plan all along, until I got to the point of trying to imagine how to make it a "feature", and tie it all together; or at least flow well and look nice. I just don't have the artistic vision to see it, and zero experience of having dealt with it before.

CX, Would you have the mosaic begin at the soffit and go to the ceiling, and carry that same breakpoint all the way around with the pencil? End at the soffit? Or some combination?

One possibility would be full height, but half (or so) width fur-out. - Carbidetooth

I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining this. And what I can imagine, unless I'm misunderstanding, seems like a lot of extra corners and transitions that are probably beyond my simple skills. If you have a picture handy of something similar that would be great. I've been able to find a grand total of 2 pictures on all of google that show something even remotely similar to what I think I'm dealing with, and they haven't really helped. Which is leading me to agree with your other point -

I think the visual intrusion of a soffit would be greater than the furred out wall. -Carbidetooth

Maybe I just fur our the whole wall so I don't have to get creative with making the soffit look nice. Then push my curb out to the end of the plumbing wall, in order to salvage as much internal space as possible, and go back to dealing with that outside corner transition that I started asking about last week.

And I realize, guys, that I'm going about this all the wrong way. I picked a look, and am now trying to design the space to suit the look. Rather than picking the space, then design the look to suit the space. But I really do appreciate all the input. It all helps, one scrap of knowledge at a time, to cure my ignorance.

Last edited by VA Dan; 07-22-2021 at 09:31 AM.
VA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #26
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

In a nutshell, or in this case a .jpg.
Attached Images

Unread 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

How would that deal with the pipe and duct at the top of his back wall, Peter?

Unread 07-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #28
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
How would that deal with the pipe and duct at the top of his back wall, Peter?
Well, duh, it wouldn't. I imagined I could get the duct in there, but didn't go back and look at photo...my folly.

Dan, is there some reason you couldn't duct straight out through the band joist in the same bay as the fan? It wouldn't address the pipe, but if I could raise the pipe and move the duct I might consider dropping the whole shower ceiling, but only a few inches. Not like yesteryear where they often dropped down 10 or 12".

Unread 07-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #29
VA Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbidetooth
is there some reason you couldn't duct straight out through the band joist in the same bay as the fan?
It certainly would have made my life easier last Sunday, but unfortunately no. There is a patio on the other side of there so it would not have been ideal. So I ran it over 8' and sent it out behind the propane tank and a giant hydrangea...in the rain, bent over a tank, under a bush, drilling a 4" hole from an awkward position. It was fun. And before you ask, access from the inside was no better. Nonetheless, it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbidetooth
if I could raise the pipe and move the duct I might consider dropping the whole shower ceiling, but only a few inches.
That is the soil pipe from the second floor bathroom, and it runs about 30'. There is a bit more fall on it than it needs, but not much. I'd hate to flirt with it for just an inch or two.

One plus about simply furring out the wall that just dawned on me, is I'll end up with 39" from the back wall to the curb face and the drywall corner; and that's one single piece of Kerdi membrane.
Unread 07-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, I'd not make even a slight change of shape of my shower to accommodate the width of my waterproofing membrane. A simple 2" overlap makes the membrane fit any and all wall sizes. It's really that simple.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase