Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
VA Dan

Curb/wall/corner/drywall transition

Hi all. I'm brand new here, but have been searching for a while and can't find a solution to my dilemma. My dilemma sounds so very similar to many other threads I've read on here that I feel silly asking it, but I'm still not clear what to do. To the point - I'm working on finishing my basement and, planning my shower. But my plans for my pan, curb, and yet-to-be-framed end wall are being held up (in my mind anyway) by the transition detail at one end of the curb where it will meet an outside drywall corner. The exact location of that corner is yet to be determined based on how I intend to trim the edge of the tile on the walls and curb. Sorry for the abstract nature of my description, but like I said, I'm getting stuck on the layout while trying to account for the finish and have everything land exactly where I planned, without any head-scratching later. I guess that's the engineer in me.

Anyway, I lifted a few pics from Carbidetooth in a thread a few years back that seems to show the scenario I'll likely have. The left side wall is flush along the bathroom wall (mine will be this way), while the right side meets a 90 deg corner/column (I have some wiggle room here since this is the wall that I have yet to frame). However, as nice as the shower in these pics turned out, I'm not sure mine will look right if I follow his lead exactly. The first pic attached is of the model shower from the tile store that my wife wants me to build, and she already bought all the tile and 1/2" pencil. The other three pics belong to Carbidetooth and show the schulter edging. I'll likely have similar transitions to sort out, but I can't picture the metal edging looking nice when I have pencil borders inside the shower and around the niche. By the way, I can't find any other edge materials or bullnose tiles to match the wife's choices. So, my question is two part. What else can I do if the schlulter profiles won't look right? Or, how else could I build the right side wall to accommodate either transition type better?

I hope this makes sense. And thanks in advance.
Dan
Attached Images

Unread 07-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
VA Dan

Here's a rough layout of the bathroom for reference if it helps. I appreciate any input. BTW, I've tried many times to get a pro in here to do this, but most are booked out several months around here, and those who are available don't strike me as knowing any more than I do about building showers that look nice and don't fail.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf layout.pdf (42.5 KB, 59 views)
Unread 07-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
VA Dan

Nothing? Nobody?
Unread 07-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

I think part of the problem is that we're accustomed to answering more specific questions. We do have some members who like to get involved with the design aspects, but even then there is usually a defined space, rather than a question of what shape should I make my shower so that I can make it aesthetically acceptable to my wife.

If you like the finish, or at least the concept of other showers that you've seen, and it's a question of that concept depending upon a particular wall depth, best I can advise you is to make your wall that depth since you appear to have that option.

If your selected tile has no edge profiles available, the choice is to trim the edge with something else or choose a different tile that has trim you like. Perhaps there is a trim in a different color or style that might compliment your selected field tile. Or a stone bullnose might stop the edges in a manner pleasing to your wife's eye. Or something.

For some of us it's difficult enough to design to our own taste, let alone trying to design to please a third, unknown, party on the other side of the ol' Intrawebs, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #5
VA Dan

Thanks CX. How about this - If I have the end wall extend beyond my curb by an inch or two, does that open up more options for edging and finishing? Versus having the curb and end wall flush upon finish? ( see sketch if I’m not making sense). If so, what is preferred- stopping the tile flush with the curb, and have that inch or two of painted drywall go to the corner? Or running the tile a bit past the curb? I just can’t visualize it- trim and finishing are not my strong suits. But I don’t think wrapping the tile around the corner will look good in this situation. Thanks again.
Unread 07-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If I'm reading it right, Dan, there's no reason you can't run the wall tile past the finished face of the curb. Indeed, making the decision to do so might remove the worry of having to get your framing exactly right, and it's the same path I took decided on when I finished my basement years ago.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I prefer to run tile past curb, but it's not always possible. I sort of adopted a curb topper as my standard fare, which requires that tile extend past topper overhang to look right.

I nosed around and found some more visual food for thought, although they might be a little general and not specific to area of concern.
Attached Images

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

And what Peter is suggesting also allows for a waterproofed "tub leg" outside the shower curb, which can be very important.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 07-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
VA Dan

Thanks guys. Getting plumbing rough in and exhaust knocked out while I absorb all this. Be back with more questions, I’m certain, as I continue.
Unread 07-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
VA Dan

Btw, in case it’s not apparent, the proximity of that right-side end wall to the toilet is a concern. That, and not sacrificing shower size is part of this mental juggling act. I know a pro would probably take one look at the whole scene and tile choices and know six different ways to skin this cat. But I’m absolutely not a pro.
For what it’s worth the toilet center is 59” from the back wall. If that fact happens to trigger an obvious decision for anyone, I’m all ears. Thanks
Unread 07-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
With a little extra framing, Dan, you could just clip that outer corner of the shower foot print without giving up much space within the shower.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #12
VA Dan

Interesting idea, Dan, that I hadn’t considered.

Here’s where I’m at. I took a bit from the shower depth and have 15-1/2” to toilet center line like this. Given the recessed shelves going in on the back side of this wall, elbow room on the toilet shouldn’t be an issue.

If I use the 4x12 field tiles as my curb top and “jam” tiles, and use schluter rondec in brushed nickel (which I think will look ok with same finish fixtures), this layout leaves me with 36.5” inside depth which will work out well for full tiles and 1/8” grout lines. Make sense?

Now I just have to return my schluter curb and fab one to make this work out. I need 4-5/8 finished width curb I believe = 3-7/8 top tile + two pcs 3/8 trim profile. My tiles are ~3/8 thick. Can I simply shmear thinset on stacked 2x4s and tile directly to get my 4-5/8 finished width? Or do I need to rip down the lumber and add backer board?

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by VA Dan; 07-19-2021 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Typo
VA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #13
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

No, you can't tile directly onto sawn lumber, but the fact that your asking and the mention of Kerdi curb begs another question.

What's your intended waterproofing strategy and how will the shower walls be constructed? That should get us info to better advise you.

Constructing the curb with KerdiBoard or even cutting down the Kerdi curb would both be possibilities, but that would hinge, at least in some part, on what you intend overall. FWIW, it's been years since I build a wood curb.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #14
VA Dan

I was planning on a mud pan (slab very uneven) with kerdi membrane, and drywall with kerdi membrane. Is the best curb option kerdi also?
Unread 07-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Best option? Not for me, Dan. They're too large, not properly sloped, and too expensive. A few 2x4s (or different sized material to taste) stacked with the top one sloped, covered with drywall or CBU, or some CMUs instead, and then Kerdi membrane makes the most sense to me.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase