Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

The dry-mix of your deck mud will be OK for a couple days, Fabian, if it's kept dry, but I wouldn't wanna push it much beyond that. Get you a new drill and get after that floor, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #32
fabian55

Thanks CX, well it would be 1 week in the bucket, so from this past Sunday till this coming Sunday. Should it be fine? Thank You
Unread 05-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #33
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Fabian, if you want to try to save what's currently in the buckets I'd get some plain plastic wrap and place it in the buckets directly on top of the product, and do your best to get it right next to the edges of the bucket.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #34
fabian55

Thank You ss3964spd, I'll actually tape it up to avoid air getting in..
Unread 05-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #35
ss3964spd

No guarantee it'll still be good a week from now, but removing the air space between the top of the bucket and the product should help.
Unread 05-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #36
fabian55

ss3964spd, Thank You..
Unread 05-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #37
fabian55

Good Day, I finally was able to do the Mud Floor, I tell you, after 6 months of watching videos and reading, it did not come out how I thought nor was it as easy as it seems, of course those videos are by ppl that do this for a living...

It seems my slope disappeared, my drain has a height of 2 1/4 " and I drew a line at a bit below 3" due to the distance. It seems I did not spread the mud evenly and in a slope angle. I thought matching the Wall line and matching the drain would create the slope, well it did but I have some low spots and high spots ( there were big gaps under the level so i filled them in ), so really there is slope and no slope.

The Mud is on a Concrete slab, so Im not going to tear out the mud and redo it, so I was wondering if I can possibly add some modified thinset on top of the Mud and level it out a bit, after that I would redgard and thinset again for the tile, or I can level it out with the thinset while tiling, just wonder which is best..

PS: Any one that is new and will do this for the first time, wear gloves and knee pads. My hand has blisters and my knees got the skin peeled off pretty much.
Attached Images

Last edited by fabian55; 05-30-2021 at 06:22 PM.
fabian55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2021, 08:09 AM   #38
ss3964spd

Since your intention is to water proof the mud with membrane or Red Gard you could use thinset mortar for some very minor, shallow filling but that isn't a recommended use for the product. There are several cementitious patching/leveling/filling/ products that you could use, Laticrete makes at least one.

Upon seeing your installed drain assembly I'm compelled to ask; how do you intend to tie the water proofing into the drain body?
Unread 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #39
fabian55

Hi ss3964spd, thank you. Im going to sand down the high spots a bit just to make it a bit more even and use the least possible thinset. In reference to the waterproof with the drain, firstly I'll add some silicone around the edge, then I'll Redgard it with a thin coat and add a Waterproof fabric around the edge and put the top layer of regard.

I recall a few other ppl asking how to water proof these drains and have also view installations and seems the Redgard goes over the drain..
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #40
ss3964spd

You are relying on the RG to adhere the water proof fabric to the stainless steel flange of that drain, Fabian? Is the fabric water proof by itself, or only after it has been sufficiently covered with RG?
Unread 06-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #41
fabian55

Hello ss3964spd, the fabric itself is Waterproof. I would put a thin coat of RG and while still wet, add the fabric and coat with RG again, this is the one I'm going to purchase, Laticrete Waterproofing Membrane Fabric
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #42
cx
Moderator emeritus

Fabian, if you'll read the TDS for RedGard I think one thing you'll find is that it is not to be used as an adhesive. Will it work in your application? I dunno. I just know Custom doesn't recommend it.

Unread 06-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #43
fabian55

Hi CX, now Im really confused by what you mentioned. All the diagrams and installation guides have the liquid membrane over the metal part of the linear Drain.

Is it RD specific? or will Hydro Ban work? Im planning on applying a thin coat of Modified thinset to level the floor, should I just then cover the metal outer portion of the linear drain and then the RD will adhere to the Thinset and bond it?
Unread 06-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #44
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
Is it RD specific? or will Hydro Ban work?
I dunno. You need to follow the product manufacturer's instructions. When you start mixing products, you're on your own, which is why we usually recommend against that.

If Laticrete says you can do what you want using their products, I'd recommend you use their products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
Im planning on applying a thin coat of Modified thinset to level the floor,..
Why ever would you want a level floor in a shower?

Unread 06-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #45
fabian55

Thanks CX, no, I don't mean mixing the products itself, I mean if its just RD that does not adhere to the Drain metal portion or if Hydroban does a better job and maybe I should use them.

The leveling of the floor is not to actually make it level, I sloped it but have a lot of high and low spot, so just going to make it a bit more even for the slope.

To avoid mistakes, would it be better to have the Modified thinset bond to the drain and then cover it with RD or Hyrdoban?

Thank You

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase