Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #16
AllenP

Grout and Silicone

Hello All,

Can I just confirm with the pro's that the best practice is to silicone all adjoining surfaces ie wall to floor, corners, niche corners etc. with no grout?

Or do you grout AND silicone?

And maybe my final question for this project; What is the highest quality grout and silicone (white) you pro's would recommend for 3 mm aka 1/8 lines.

Thank you.
Unread 03-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not only best practice, but industry requirement. A flexible sealant is required in the tile installation at all places where the backing material makes a change of plane.

One or the other. Never both.

I would recommend a sanded grout unless the joint is too narrow to force it into or the tile surface is such that sanded will scratch it unacceptably.

Many good grouts out there. Availability should influence your choice and we don't know where you shop, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #18
AllenP

hey now, just because it's snowing here right now doesn't mean we don't have all the same materials that you 'Merican's have access to eh. And if we can't find it in the store, we have the interwebs.

So I think what I'm looking for is if you had tiled this shower, what specific grout and silicone would you use?
Unread 03-28-2021, 06:37 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Homer's is my closest source of anything where I live (y'all got Home Depot up there above The Circle?) and I would likely buy Prism grout there.

The caulk, if I elected to use a matching sanded silicone I would order ColorSil from the folks at ColorRite. Their prices are reasonable, but their shipping charge was still usurious last time I ordered from them. That was several years ago, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #20
AllenP

Thank you. Very much obliged.

And yes we have homedepot.ca

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase