Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Ishkabibble247

Least material on skipper stone shower pan

I've installed my pre slope mortar base and am ready to put in the PVC liner. My house was built in 1890 and the joists aren't all in the best shape. I reinforced many of them but wonder if it's better to do so again once the stone and tile are in but before grouting. I'll fill the tub as well. Or, is it best to sandwich them without the load? The stones for the shower pan vary in shape from 1-2" in heighth and 3-5" in length with mostly flat sides, rounded (skippers). I would like to set and grout them with as little material as possible to help limit the weight on the floor/joists. Also, I have seen conflicting advice for how to best waterproof the area where the CBU meets a stone shower pan. Some seam/thinset /redgard onto the mortar pan while others leave a gap. I would prefer to tile below the stone line as it will be somewhat uneven and difficult to cut tile to match it well. My thoughts were that I could redgard both sides of the CBU where it meets the pre slope mortar / liner to help prevent wicking. I plan to redgard all the walls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. PS I spent about 10 minutes writing all this out on my phone and backed out of it so I just recorded this. If anything isn't clear feel free to ask for clarification.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Karl,

You mention a shower floor and filling a tub also. I think you should take some pictures and post them here. I don't know what filling the tub has to do with the shower.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
rmckee84

I agree, I'm a little lost.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Ishkabibble247

"Filling of tub" reference

There is a 5' x 42" tub next to a 5' x 34" shower area. Filling the tub has to do with further bracing joists underneath the crawlspace. I've already screwed 2x6's along side each joist and onto the cinder block foundation but may double them up just to be safe. My question was, is it better to brace them after the added weight load of a water filled tub, tile, etc. or before? Or, split the difference and fill halfway? I'm worried about sag over time, not initial bowing. Out of town for the weekend and can get pictures Sunday/Monday if needed. Basically, just want to know if it'd be best to add weight before adding more 2x6's to the joists or to do it before adding more weight of stone, tile, etc. Also, the bit about tiling the side walls below the stone shower surface and waterproofing it properly. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
wwhitney

For most cases, structural reinforcement is best done while the members are unloaded. If you sister a member that is already loaded, the sister will only participate in sharing any additional load.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 02-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
Ishkabibble247

Thanks Wayne. Then, it's whether or not embedding the CBU in the top mortar bed is OK and if redgarding both sides is a good anti-wicking approach. Oatey's installation instructions have the CBU embedded. Just want to make sure that's the best approach. Which, if I can embed the CBU, I see no reason an inch of tile can't be embedded too. Would save a lot of labor not having to cut tile to fit against the stone skippers or have large uneven gaps to silicone. Also, trying to figure out how to best set the uneven skipper stones in the shower pan. Could the whole thing be done in white grout or cement maybe? Would love to set the stones as I pour the top pan so it's all one layer instead of several. Sorry for my novice approach. Nothing seems easy.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
rmckee84

1. What kind of CBU? Fiber cement board like hardi shouldn't be buried, while true cement backers can be. Both will wick but fiber cement board will wick at a much higher rate.
2. Using laticrete grout color packets you can tint your thinset but I would still want to actually grout the rocks. Your other option is to set and grout with epoxy. I dont think I would attempt to wet set pebbles, which would be setting them right after you pack the top mud bed.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Ishkabibble247

Thanks for the insight. I have hardibacker, but can go get "true" cement boards to be able to embed them. Would it be best to redgard both sides of the embedded part?
As far as the skippers go, I'm going to have to use a substantial amount of mortar/grout/thinset or whatever I end up using to be able to flush the top layer even since they vary so much. Trying to brainstorm options.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:02 AM   #9
Ishkabibble247

Skipper stone shower pan advice, and a few other questions.

Homeowner DIY. Pics are current stage. I read of issues with redgard on hardibacker so opted to coat modified thinset over all surfaces. I also have durock on walls at shower base and didn't want to redgard over 3 different mediums (HB, Durock and thinset). Still have to touch up shower pan before applying redgard to pan, walls, etc. Will be setting "skipper" stones (pictured) in shower pan, over redgard, and would appreciate any advice on best approach. Stone prep, setting, grouting, etc. Would prefer to tile first, then do stones so I don't have to cut odd tiles where tile meets pan. Bottom plate of adjustable clamp type drain is nearly flush with pan so i have about 4" (or any height less)of room to work with stones.

If redgarding onto clamp style drain ring, is there anything I should do to prep the drain ring? Scuff, scarify, acetone, etc?

Also, curious about the area where cement board meets drywall. Is it best to just thinset tiles on to drywall same as on cement board, or should something different be done? Using 4 x 12 tiles and I expect a single row to extend above the seam.

Thank you for any suggestions. This site and forum has been a wealth of knowledge (and humor) to this project.

Karl
Attached Images

Last edited by Ishkabibble247; 04-17-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Ishkabibble247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 AM   #10
Ishkabibble247

Better Picture

To save you the neck strain.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
Ishkabibble247

Additionally, I'd like the stones to have a permanently "wet" look, so any product and/or instruction for that would be great as well. Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
Ishkabibble247

My old and recent posts were merged just now, but several things have changed with the install and all but the last 3 posts can be disregarded.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase