Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
tileguy88
Tile Man

Radius walls inside shower

I'm planning a new shower for my home and thinking of building the corners to about an 8" inside radius. The tile will be 1" glass mosaic. I'll be using Kerdi on the walls. Hoping someone will know of a way to achieve this type of a finish. My first (and only, so far) thought is to mud the corners. My experience with mud to date is building sloped shower floors. Is the procedure the same? Any other thoughts??...

Ceramic Tile Solutions LLC
Eagan, MN
tileguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
conceptsplus
Conceptsplus- Randy Gilmore

Hey Brian, Walls are different than floors. I hate to say this, but Wedi has a panel designed to contour radious walls. There may be others out there. I just am not aware of any. Since your using kerdi and people in here say it's OK to use sheetrock under kerdi. I suppose you could wet a piece of sheetrock and form it to fit your radious.

Natural Stone Contractor - Springfield, Missouri
Website needs updates- be back soon.
conceptsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Mud would be the way to go. If not, PermaBase sells a flexible CBU called PermaBase Flex , go figure.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
conceptsplus
Conceptsplus- Randy Gilmore

Brian, Brad's right about the mud. Generally when people ask me if they should mud the walls, I answer with a question. What is the pupose of a scratch coat?
If they know the correct answer, I tell them go for it! Usually those with the answer don't ask that question. I'm just trying to simplify this for you. Never heard of the flexable permabase but sounds like a good possibility! Incorporate it with the rest standard permabase, then kerdi.

Natural Stone Contractor - Springfield, Missouri
Website needs updates- be back soon.
conceptsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Dave Ashton
Engineer/Tile Contractor

Here is a project Im working on at my house with a radius. Radius is two layers of 1/4" rock glued and screwed to the framing. After stapling the lath up I attached it to the framing with roofing nails. I cut the "wall" screed to accomodate my straight edge plus 1/2" of mud, opposite side the radius minus a 1/2". First time I had ever done an arch, seemed to work ok. Patience is the key...lots of mud in the tub as you go. I floated it in two days because I didnt want to screw up the vault float while doing the back wall. I didnt finish the right hand wall with the first float because, well, I ran out of mud and I dont have "Albert." Hope this helps...lots of fun that is for sure!
Attached Images

Dave Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Dave Ashton
Engineer/Tile Contractor

I waterproofed the whole thing with Hydro Ban.

Dave Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
tileguy88
Tile Man

Ok, so my plan is to go with the mud corners. Is it possible to get the mud to feather edge for a smooth transition back to a flat wall? Or should I plan on a skim coat or 2 of a patching compound like Ardex? I'd really like to drywall the entire shower, and mud only the corners. I'd appreciate a basic walk-through in the technique for mudding the corners. Thanks, guys.

Ceramic Tile Solutions LLC
Eagan, MN
tileguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase