Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Jlayer21
Matt and Cera

Other DIY projects

My wife and I are undertaking many different projects and I was wondering if anyone new of a site as good as this one for drywall, remodeling, painting, etc.
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Matt.....

While TYW forums is primarily a tile and stone forum..... many members have both experience and expertise in many other building trades.... including in drywall, in remodeling, in painting and in etc. :----)

You may wish to try asking your questions within the context of on-going projects right here first.

Hope this helps.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Jlayer21
Matt and Cera

I know i will have to get pics of the wall up. I have a 10' - 15', most likley non-load bearing wall that seperates ajoined kitchen/dining room and living room. At first we wanted to knock the whole thing down a little more than half and throw a slab of granite on it but we are painting all the rooms different colors so I do not think this would work. I wanted to know the difficulty and possibly extra ideas of putting something like an "arch window" in the wall. I still want to throw a slab of some sort down for a sort of bar/ table. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Unread 03-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Matt....

Here is kind of a neat product..... Instant Drywall Arch.
There are more manufacturers of this type of product which may found with net searches.

Hope this helps.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Jlayer21
Matt and Cera

I saw that before. I just feel like it is an "easy out" I want the sweat, labor, and prolly blood. I want to be able to cut shape mold and design this myself. I am also still wanting to completley rid myself of that wall so any ideas on a partion for the contrasting colors would be great.
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
astrojeff

Here's a before and after shot where we took down the wall between the kitchen and the dining room. One of our issues was that the textured ceiling would be impossible to patch (without being noticeable) where the wall came down, and although we kept the same colors between rooms, we used a glossy kitchen grade paint in the kitchen, and went to eggshell in the next room. Leaving in some sort of physical transition makes for a natural point to change paint colors.

Leaving just the header of the wall in place solved the ceiling texture problem. It created a natural transition between the kitchen and dining room, while opening up the entire wall, and including lots of blood, sweat, and tears during the process. We also put in a peninsula along the removed wall to help out with the transition feeling. I initially included the angle in the first wall because we took out the entire one wall and 2 feet of the next wall--so I angled up the 2 feet to try to give it a more natural look. Then I put a matching angle on the other side just to balance it out. I ended up getting more compliments on the angled walls than just about anything else. A lot of people thought that I had included it as a structural feature, even though it was all non-load bearing (I did consult with a structural engineer, who showed me how my roof was entirely truss, meaning that no internal walls were load bearing). You might be able to include an angle or an arch as a transition between your rooms, but don't think "hole in the wall"; rather, think of removing the wall and use your architectural elements (arches, headers, angles) as aesthetic transitions. I'm not an architect--I just like to have fun with remodeling. Good luck.
Attached Images

Unread 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Jlayer21
Matt and Cera

OK 1 open end of the wall I want to do something with.
2The wonderful sliding glass door someone did not the first thing about installing...but did anyway.
some diy'ers should'nt.
3The frame is a couple inches low. The door is seperated from the seal halfway down(sits at an angle)
4 What most of the vents look like. (easy fix I know but id like a place to shop for a lot of dif types.)
5a beatiful old style wood floor that has been scratched to hell (repair options?)

these are a few of the projects I need to address in the house( there are alot more.)
Attached Images

Unread 03-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
SSM
CPA, Gee-tar Picker, Weekend Warrior

Hi Matt,

We took out our kitchen wall to the ceiling, leaving a half wall to create an island 8' long. We drywalled, taped, mudded, and textured the gap, and the ceiling transition matches well enough to be virtually unnoticeable now--so you know it can be done. We WERE going to leave the wall header in place like Jeff suggested (nicely done there!) but we changed the kitchen dimensions and the header would not have matched the kitchen outline.

Our 8' island has the range in the middle and cabinets on either side. The half wall will support a breakfast bar 42" high and overhanging 12". Sounds like you could do a similar thing. We went with the raised bar because the extra height and shortened overhang on the living room side worked better for various reasons, and the extra few inches of wall above the counter top on the kitchen side allows for electrical outlets. We didn't like the idea of putting outlets directly in the counter top or on the sides of the cabinets.

Our roof is all trusses, too. I'm not an engineer, but from what I read, it seemed a good idea to tie my trusses together so as to help keep them from flexing sideways, since there was no longer a wall header under them. I went up in the attic and installed pairs of 10x1 boards screwed onto the bottom element of the trusses, all the way from one end of the roof to the other. This also provided a sort of catwalk for working up there. More like a catcrawl It's a little cramped up there...

Painting the kitchen a different different color might not be as difficult as it seems. Our newly-opened kitchen area ends with base and wall cabinets on one leg of the L, and it'll have a nice tiled backsplash all the way up to the bottom of the wall cabinet. So the only paint transition area will be between the top of the wall cabinet and the ceiling, which can be just a nice crisp line. The other leg of our L is a fridge and a wall, so that's a natural break. The ceiling can be painted one color throughout, or one can use molding, like a strip of S4S or some fancy profile, painted a contrasting color as a break.

I hope this helps with the ideas. Designing is almost as much fun as doing. Doing is more satisfying though...

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
SSM is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase