Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
chepp

Shower Floors and Benches

I plan on adding a seat inside the shower I'm building in a second floor bathroom. There is a large volume of great information here on building the seats, but I had a few questions before I start slinging the mud.

1. Should I be concerned about all the weight in the shower when I'm building on the second floor over wood I-beam construction? By the time you add all the cement board on the walls, the mud on the floor, all the tile, and the person showering (I'm not a small guy), there is a lot of weight in a small area. I don't want to cause problems for myself by adding all the bricks and mortar for the seat it will cause problems.

2. Is there anything special about the bricks used to fill in the spaces? Can I break up and use the left over pieces of cement board from the walls? Can I use the left over clay bricks from the front porch?

3. Is a curb built up with mud over three stacked 2x4s substantially superior to a curb with cement board screwed to the same stacked 2x4s? I don't have an artists touch, and I'm concerned that a curb that isn't built just right might break over time.

Thanks!

Last edited by chepp; 02-03-2005 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Correcting a typo
chepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Chris! Do you know our Dave Misevich? He's from Canton. Did a nice shower, stuck around to be a moderator.

1) Don't be concerned about the weight. We worry about Live Load deflection. Building materials are Dead Load, as you will find out when you haul everything upstairs. Live load deflection criteria is much more stringent than dead load structural strength, so if we check out the joists and find them good for tile, then have at it.

2) Clean cement procducts or clay products are fine. Don't put any organic matter in there, you you will smell it later.

3) Screwing backerboard into the curb will punch holes in the membrane, and you'll work too hard for that to happen. Do it right, using metal lathe and fat mud, like in the shower construction thread in the Liberry. Later, you can brag about it to your friends, tossing around terms like "fat mud" and "lathe" and "blood." The new vocabulary alone is worth the scar tissue!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
chepp

Thanks for the info!

I noticed Dave was local - haven't had the pleasure of meeting him though.

Thanks for the info. Putting screws through the liner is obviously a very bad idea. I pre-fit the wall pieces before laying the first layer of mud down. I marked the bottom 6 inches very clearly as a reminder to myself not to put screws through the membrane. I'll make sure to leave the PVC intact on the curb as well.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by chepp; 02-03-2005 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Another typo - I need to learn to type
chepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
chepp

A Question About the 15 lb. Felt Paper

Most diagrams I've seen specify to use 15 lb. felt paper between the sloped layer and the liner. Is there any reason not to use 30 lb. since that's what I have on hand? If that's too heavy, is resin paper from a hardwood flooring project a better choice?

Thanks again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase