Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
williamch84

Slate Tile - How to remove too much Grout and Color enhancer/sealer options

Hi,

I have a few questions.

The first is regarding removal of too much grout from a bad grout job. I got most of it already using an acidic solution, but there are still some spots remaining. I was wondering if I was right to use the acid solution and if there are any other options to get the spots that are really caked on there.

My other question is regarding color enhancing and sealing of slate tiles. It's multi-color slate and it looks beautiful when wet, even with the extra grout since it turns dark/invisible when wet, and was wondering the best way to get that same look to remain all the time.

I was looking at MB-6 and its sounded the most like the type of product I would want to use, but haven't seen any reviews for it.

Last, I wanted to know whether gloss or matte sealer would be better. I bought a gloss sealer because I was hoping it would accentuate the colors more, but I'm not sure what the final look will be.

A few questions here, but the most important is the color enhancer. I really want to get the wet tile look and would like any information that would help achieve it.

Thanks for the help - oh and this is my first job, so the mistakes were expected - was a little worse than I hoped for, but I'm dealing with it. Spent an entire day today cleaning the extra grout off and probably have another half day of getting the more difficult spots.
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

Welcome, sorry to hear of the grout issues. As far as the color enhancer goes, Dupont StoneTech Professional Enhancer is a great product. That will give you the wet look. Best to do a little test area to see what the results are.
Can you post any pictures so we can see what the grout issues look like?

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com
Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
williamch84

Yeah, the grout issue made a lot of extra work for me but it looks like it is turning out all right. It was kind of a rush job at the end and my friend helping me wasn't used to working with slate so we thought we got enough of the grout off.

I used Miracle Heavy Duty Acidic Cleaner which seemed to work well, I put some distilled white vinegar in too. Afterwards I cleaned it with Miracle Tile & Stone Cleaner.

I probably could have used a stronger brush, but the one I used was good enough to get most of the grout off with the cleaner.

To be honest I'm surprised it looks as good as it does now, considering the way it looked earlier.

I included a picture of the room and of the grout. Hopefully the image quality is good enough to see the grout that is remaining.

Name:  web2011-03-10 19.31.21.jpg
Views: 2911
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  web-03-10 19.31.45.jpg
Views: 3934
Size:  18.6 KB

If I use that enhancer should I get a sealer as well?

And if so, should I put the enhancer or sealer on first?
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

William, the enhancer is also a sealer.

If you use a sealer first, your enhancer will do not enhancing at all. Don't seal the stone first.

And please, please test the chosen product(s) on some scrap or in an inconspicuous part of the installation to see if you like the result. A proper test includes allowing the full cure time after application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

CX and Todd are both absolutely correct. An Enhancing sealer like StoneTechs will give it a wet look (without the gloss) and will seal. If you seal prior to using an enhancer like that, the stone will not take the enhancer.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Miracle Sealants Tech

Hi William-

Great to hear the Miracle Heavy Duty Acidic Cleaner did the job for you. I would suggest trying the Miracle Seal and Enhance product to give you that "wet look" appearance to your slate now. As always try a small sample spot first, but with the two (2) applications that are recommended it will look great!

If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask. I am will be happy to assist you in anyway I can.

Robb

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com

Last edited by cx; 03-11-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Add signature & repair comment
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Stone Dude

MB-6 is a very nice product, it will suit your project well.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase