Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
1cbtengr78

need opinion on contracted tile work that looks unsatisfactory

I am having my shower remodeled from a prefab to full tile. A few things I noticed when the tile guy left today and had some question of:

1. Spacing between tiles varies from 1/2" to 1/8".
2. Tile spacing doesn't align on an adjacent wall.
3. Cement board seems to have been cut wrong so a wall has a 1/2" strip of tile in the corner and it tapers off from top to bottom until there isn't any room left for 1/2" strip of tile. It is inconsistent in width from top to bottom.
4. The shower niches were made from scratch and a prefab niche was not used. Is this common? The contractor said it was usually technique and depended on the person doing the work. It is supposed to be a simple 12"x12" niche.
5. There is supposed to be a seat in the shower, but from what I have seen on the internet, it is a shelf. Will this support my 190 lbs? Isn't there supposed to be a support underneath it?
6. The curb of the shower the door will sit on is curved slightly.

I paid $4000 for this job and am not sure if I am getting what I paid for. I don't have a slide scale to base this job off of, but I would think $4000 would get me a simple shower that is near perfect in tile spacing and alignment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by anyone who could offer any comments. Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 02-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Shawn Prentice

Greetings Bobby,

Sorry about your problem. There does appear to be aesthetic issues in your pictures. Although based on the photos, my concerns would be what is under the tile work, i.e. properly done mud bed, waterproofing, etc. You can make your own niche, but there are critical steps to follow in order to do it right.

Attention to detail is a characteristic that is practiced throughout a project by quality oriented professionals, no matter what it is. And the attention to detail is missing in this install, at least towards the end.

Do you have any during construction pictures? Or do you remember anything you might be able to tell us that would give an indication of the steps followed?
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

If that peice of marble measures 18" from the corner to each side its a seat. A shelf would be 9". Yeah the sliver cut is unacceptable. The walls out of plumb causing the top of the wall to dip back. If he made cuts at the bottom and ran his plumb line for the spot where it went in the most at the top that sliver wouldn't have showed up. Thats a rookie mistake. The curb should curve slightly enough that water runs into the shower. It should barely be noticable to the naked eye and only noticed when checked with a level. When I pitch my curbs I make it so the level just touches the line on the level.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
fourml8r

i am an amateur and do better work than that. i would not be happy "paying" someone for that level of competence. lots of rookie mistakes.
Unread 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Bobby,

I don't think the tile person did that all in one day. Didn't you notice things weren't right before the shower was finished?

Yes, it doesn't look like a professional job. And you have a right to expect professional work no matter what price you pay.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
JC

niche means nothing.. to me they are a big waste of money and as far as im concerned they are for DYI'ers. Biggest drawback they dont give the flexibilty to adjust the size to fit the tile layout.

Its not hard at all to cbu the hole and slab some kerdi on it. and adjust it to the tile lines..not the other way around.

sliver is inexcusable, joint don't match in corner, poor planning on niche...just all rookie mistakes...agree that you should be more concerned whats under the tile coz if made those mistakes he very well could have messed up the serious stuff.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Serge

I'm an amatuer too and I would be pissed....

A sliver in the shower? Huh? That just means he didn't take the time to make sure the walls were plumb. The niche doesn't have to be prefab, but I sure hope it's got a good membrane behind it. And the curb slanting up?! Wow. Substandard work.

I had a friend (retired at 35) who paid a lot of money for a remodel. He called me to say he wasn't sure about the tile installer. I went over and looked. Talk about lippage! It looked like he had set each tile and pushed in the opposite corner of each. Needless to say, the tile installer was fired and they got someone in to do the job correctly.

All of that to say, even though you spend a lot of money, sometimes that doesn't translate into quality. (Of course, it's not a good idea to be cheap either.....)

Hope you get them to either give you a discount/refund for part of it or even a redo.

Serge.
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
1cbtengr78

thanks for the input

Thanks all for the comments,advice, and input. It is very frustrating when you can't gauge the quality of work without knowledge. I have told the contractor what to fix twice and they keep thinking they have fixed it. I can only take so any days off from work for them to work in my house. Anyone know a good tile guy in eastern NC?
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Tilerite (rick) hes in NC could ping him up. Not sure where exactly he is though in NC.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Like John said,what was transpiring,day to day? Did you inform the tile setter and/or the contractor,when you had your first initial questions/concerns?

What leverage do you have,to see that the work is done properly,from this point forward?

Lastly,as you're asking for a tile mechanic in your area,are you gonna redo the shower?
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

Dan Kramer is in Eastern NC, he Does absolutely excellent work too. For 5 grand I would go over there and tear it and do it right- I would dress it up a little too!

Really though the seat is ok, the cuts around the niche look huge the corner issues are due to terribly poor layout, and as was said before I wonder as to the integrity of the waterproofing underneath.

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase