Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
nolaz

Sealer - Honed Carrara Marble - Pre-sealed

I've just finished installing a Honed White Marble in two of my bathrooms and am ready to grout. But, before I go ahead, I wanted to get some advice from the experts out there, as I've spent a lot of time & money on this tile and don't want to mess anything up.
Plan: First I am going to clean the floor with Mira Clean #1 and seal with Miracle 511 Impregnator prior to grouting. I am using a darker grout, Mapei Keracolour unsanded (silver or pewter) and don't want to discolor the tile or have any residue left.

Product Manufacturer: Luce di Carrara
Finish: Honed white marble with black/grey veining (Tiziano)
Also, this marble comes pre-sealed "to protect LUCE DI CARRARA from everyday use a patented and innovative anti-stain treatment is applied during the production process".
There is no mention of sealing the product on their website. For everyday cleaning of the floor they recommend neutral cleaner FILACLEANER. Also, to renew the brightness of the surface apply the wax FILA CLASSIC then polish with a woollen clothe or a floor - polisher.

Questions:
1.) Am I going overboard sealing the product before grouting? The marble repelled the water a bit when cutting with the wet saw, but not totally. Water did not bead up on the surface and was slightly darkened but disappeared after it dried.
2.) Any compatibility issues using Miracle with the factory applied sealer?
3.) What are people’s experiences with the Miracle Product line?
4.) Should I seal everything again after grouting? Including the grout?
5.) Is waxing tile, as per their recommendation, something I should consider instead?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!!
Nola
nolaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

If you use a grout color different from the body color of that stone i can pretty well guarantee you'll get a picture frame of pigment bleeding into the sides of the tiles.If the stone darkens it could stand more sealing, but i'm not familiar with their sealer and don't know if the two sealers are compatible myself.I wouldn't wax a stone i was gonna walk on in a bathroom especially.But i would seal again 3 days after grouting.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
nolaz

This is the look I am going for with the darker grout lines and the veined marble tile. My tile is very similar. Can I seal the edges of the tile as well to prevent the grout colour bleeding? Any suggestions or am I stuck using a white grout?

After reading more on this forum, I will test my marble pre-seal with the impregnator 511 seal this evening and see if there are any compatibiliy issues.
Attached Images

nolaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase