Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Davery

Efflorescence?

I finished grouting last week and noticed I have a large difference in the shade of the grout. About 5% of the grout is several shades darker than it should be and about 90% is several shades lighter. I have used a vinegar and water solution with no effect. I have used a phosphoric acid and water mix (1 to 4) with no effect. I'm about to give up and stain the grout. Since I have to seal anyway, this should not be too much more work, right? Anyone have any solutions before I try the stain?

Don
Davery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Don, not so fast.

I'll bet if you scratch the surface anywhere in that installation you'll find the right color of grout underneath. It's almost always a case of something or other migrating to the surface. Check it out.

If I'm right, I might recommend a little stronger acid treatment. Grout stain only works to darken the shade or to at least make grout the same shade throughout the installation. It does NOT make dark spots lighter. It might help to put a picture up here.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
ob1kanobee

Wow thats really wierd. Sounds to me like the only way to get it pretty is to grout stain it, it's better than sealing in my opinion anyway.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
jane m

Hi Don, had this same problem last week. You might have seen my thread. Toolguy recommended the vinegar, 1/2 and 1/2 or stronger if necessary. It did a pretty goodjob of evening out the lighter spots-revealing darker below the surface. I scrubbed it with a hard bristle brush that attaches to a broom handle from HD, and the top layer came right off.

However, I test sealed a spot, and 24 hours later 3" of an 18" joint was darker. But, 48 hours later it was almost even. So, I'm still nervous about sealing the whole thing. Anyway, did you use a stiff brush and scrub it a little? Also, in the past, I had what they called calcium deposits from the water, (and phosphoric acid did not work) so this time I used distilled water for grout mix and all cleaning. Maybe I'm crazy, but my grout turned out much better this time. Who knows....good luck.
jane m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Davery

I would post a picture if I could figure out how to do it.
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
xringdude

There some good instructions in the liberry on how to post pics at the correct size. hope that helps,
Stephen
xringdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Davery

We are on a well. Could well water cause this? If so, what do I do now?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase