Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
dread

Which Terrazzo Shower Base to buy?

I'm finishing the basement and adding a bathroom. I've just finished the rough-in ( with sewage ejector and all ). I want a 40"x40" terrazzo shower base with 2 flanged side and 3 threshold curbs, but am having trouble deciding on a manufacturer. I know about 3 and each have long delivery times ( min 4 weeks ) to where I live in Maryland. The ones I know about are:I have seen chips for the fiat and acorn models. The fiat sample appears not to have any sealer on it whatsoever. The acorn model has what they call a "Marine coating" on it that makes it shiny. The acorn model also claims to have rebar inside, with the rep saying that this is unique to their process.
All models are in the neighborhood of $400.

Does anyone have experience with these 3 manufacturers?

If the fiat is recommended, what type of terrazzo sealer should I use to prevent stains and to protect the surface?

Is there any trick to lowering this 300 pound monster into place ?

Thanks,
Dread

btw - sorry for the crosspost from Terry's site.. I didnt get any responses there and thought I might have better luck here.
dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Lex-dystic

Hi dread,

Looks like you haven't had much luck getting responses on this site either so far, your post occurred at a time of day where few folks are online. I haven't been around here for too long but my experience is most folks on this site prefer building and tiling their own shower pans over using the prefab ones. I know that's not much help, but my reply will at least bump your thread back up where the experts can see it again.
Lex-dystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Duncan Ave.

Have I got a deal for you!

Hi Dread,

I have a 36" neoangle terrazzo pan I will give to ya. It is a long story, but it was installed in my house by my former contractors. Never been used. I chucked it out after I chucked them out. I think it is the Fiat brand.

Are you aware that the manufacturer recommends a lead and oakum connection? I couldn't find anyone in my area who still does it that way, and did not want to rig it.

'Course you will have to drive to Chattanooga, TN to pick up. Have you checked on shipping for one of those bad boys? As I recall, it is half again as much as the pan itself.

Sherry
Duncan Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase