Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
LivetoRide

Marble Floor Tiles Cleaning and Restoration?

Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum, and I am looking forward to your advice. I have marble tile (12"x6") floors in a foyer, entry hallway and in the master bath. They are about 15 years old, but the previous owners of my home were really rough on them. The marble floors look dull, feel dirty under my bare feet despite mopping with plain water, and are somewhat pitted. Some bits of grout could use some touchup too. I want to have these floors professionally cleaned, restored, and polished. Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for in a contractor to do this? There are quite a number of companies in my area (Chicago) that advertise that they specialize in marble cleaning/restoration. I also checked www.ntc-stone.com, and there were quite a few names listed for my area. In addition, the company that installed my fireplace's marble surround and hearth did a nice job, and they offerred their services to clean my marble tile floors. But while I know they did a great installation, I am not sure that cleaning/restoration is also their forte. Are there questions I need to ask, or technical aspects I need to specify to them? How DO I choose?
LivetoRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Live - (John likes first names, so you'd better provide one!)

Good questions.

I'd look for someone who has done marble restoration as a main line of work, but it would not bother me if they also install marble, since these can end up going together at times. The NTC stone directory you mentioned is not a bad place to look. The industry is not huge - don't expect to find 20 more of such directories.

Ask for references from the contractors. Why not look at some of the jobs they have done or speak to their previous clients?

If the surface of the marble is the way I'm visualizing from your description, it may be badly etched and physically scratched from foot traffic. It will need grinding with low number coarse diamond pads, such as #50. Then it will need honing with progressively finer grits, from 50 up to 400, or 800 depending on the stone. If you want a final shine, they use powder to polish it, which is a tricky proposition that takes experience.

It's not cheap, but if it's slid downhill due to wear and tear, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice it can bounce back.

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi LivetoRide, Welcome!

What Clay said, please share a first name.

What part of the city are you in? If you'll notice I'm listed in the NTC-Stone Directory. I don't get into the Loop much anymore, but I do have an appt. in Chicago this morning around 9.

If you're interested, send me a PM, and I'll give you my contact number.

Problem is, they're aren't too many companies available that are doing quality restoration work. Also need to determine why the grout is cracking. Please don't have your floors crystallized.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase