Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
KestonDrip1

Better bench weep hole white drip

Hello,

Our shower has a better bench, which I believe was installed in 2011 by the previous owner. Ever since we moved in 5 years ago, the weep hole has been covered in white (mineral deposit?) and drips on to the porcelain tile beneath it, leaving white buildup. We haven't had any white buildup in the rest of the shower besides from the bottom side of the bench.

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on why our shower bench has white buildup around the weep hole? It kind of looks like the mortar in the weep hole has been eaten away slightly overtime as there's a small gouge in it. We've tried quite a few cleaners, such as ZEP and vinegar without much luck.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 02-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Keston.

In my part of the country with the vast majority of my customers being on individual water wells, I would write that off as hard water deposits. That would, however, be removable with the vinegar you indicate you've used. Would take a bit of dwell time to work well, though.

You haven't put a geographic location into your User Profile nor given us any idea what might be the source of your water supply, so I can't guess if the same might be said for your problem. We also don't know what might have been used to fill the Better Bench when it was installed.

That's just one of the reasons I always waterproof the top of every Better Bench I install.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
KestonDrip1

Thanks for the response. I've updated my profile. I am on city water with a water softener. I have tried soaking a wet paper towel with vinegar on it for 8+ hours. I can continue to work on it.

It's hard to see in the photo, but should I be concerned about the small amount of mortar that appears to have been worn away?
Attached Images

Unread 02-29-2020, 11:36 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

I got no eye-dee what you're showing us in that there pitcher, Keston! I'm not even sure it's appropriate for thissy here family site.

Really, I don't know what I'm seeing there. But if it's the bottom drain hole in a better bench, I can't see it being a problem if the bench was filled with dry-pack mortar, aka deck mud. But, again, we don't know what was used to fill yours.

If an 8 hour vinegar soak, even if it's that wimpy 5% vinegar, didn't dissolve most of that deposit, it's clearly not the mineral deposit I originally guessed.

Let's wait for a more knowledgeable response.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 03-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #5
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Question

Keston,

Can you post a couple picture with a wider view of the area? I cannot figure out where this weep hole is located. I’m guessing the underside of the bench but a top view would be useful.

Thanks!!
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Look at his first photo, PC. It's the underside of a triangular Better Bench. The hole is near the center of the bottom side.

Unread 03-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Could they have used a mastic to bond the tiles to the bench?

If you soak a towel in water, then lay it over the spot on the floor, after a few hours, can you wipe it off?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
Kman

I'd pull the tile on the bench, and if it's dry pack underneath, I'd let it dry a few days and waterproof it, then reset the tile.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
KestonDrip1

So I worked at cleaning the underside of the bench over the last week, alternating between vinegar and ZEP CLR on different nights. I know both can damage aluminum, so tried to be careful with not getting too much on the Better Bench.

The white buildup was still not easy to get off, but was able to eventually chisel off some of it with a razor blade. Also, there was more buildup than I realized on the front-bottom edge. The white buildup on the floor tile beneath the bench was easier to get off, though still required a decent amount of effort.

Cx is correct about it being the triangular Better Bench (17x17x24). I also found the receipt from the previous owner and it looks Tec Full Set Plus and Tec Forti Flex 1 thin-set are both listed on the receipt. The full bathroom and shower was tiled for the project.

Here are some better pics of where it's at today. You'll notice there's still some white buildup, but it's a little easier to see the weep hole.
Attached Images

Unread 03-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Out of curiosity, Keston, is that bench sloped towards the floor drain or back towards the wall? The trace of white from the drain hole back towards the wall makes me wonder. Also, what was used to seal the tile on top of the bench to the wall tile, grout or silicone caulk?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
jerrymlr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
i got no eye-dee what you're showing us in that there pitcher, keston! I'm not even sure it's appropriate for thissy here family site.
lmao!!
Unread 03-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
KestonDrip1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Out of curiosity, Keston, is that bench sloped towards the floor drain or back towards the wall? The trace of white from the drain hole back towards the wall makes me wonder. Also, what was used to seal the tile on top of the bench to the wall tile, grout or silicone caulk?
It's sloped towards the floor drain. Not entirely sure why there's a trace of white from the weep hole back towards the wall. They used sanded grout on the top of the bench and the rest of the shower. Silicone caulk was only used around the shower door frame.
Unread 03-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Water is getting into it through the grout, and possibly through the tile itself. I don't think applying a sealer will stop it, but may slow it down a little for a while.

You could remove the tile and use a topical water proofer, something like Redgard, on top of the "mud" that the bench is filled with, then reinstall the tile, and then silicone caulk the joint between the wall and bench top tile. That would probably nearly eliminate water getting into the mud pack. Or remove the tile and have a piece of solid surface material cut to fit. Mortar it into place, and silicone it to the wall tile.

I have two BB's of the same size as yours in my shower but only one is subject to water, but a lot of water. Difference is I covered them with a waterproof membrane which is tied into the wall, and wraps over the front of the bench, topped with a piece of stone, siliconed to the wall tile. The weep holes are dry as a bone.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Looks like the bench frame itself was installed level or slightly sloped to the wall and only the top mud bed was sloped to drain, Keston. Perhaps some buildup of water in the bottom of the bench is contributing somewhat to the problem, but that's just a WAG.

Again, not knowing what the bench was filled with is limiting our guessing somewhat.

Here's a photo of one of my Better Bench installations after about 5 years in a Kerdi shower. The bench would have had the Kerdi membrane on the top and wall junctions, so perhaps not a good comparison at all (personal cleaning products by others). No evidence of any dripping from the bottom weep hole, but I wouldn't really expect any with that method of waterproofing.

Name:  Better Bench.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  71.1 KB

Unread 03-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #15
Kman

I've always done mine the same as CX does his.

And I agree that the Better Bench is probably backfalling, and the mud and/or tile are sloped to shed water.

If that's true, and the bench isn't waterproofed, then it'll fill with water until there's enough to run out the weep hole underneath. Not a good thing, as you now know.

I still say remove the tile and if necessary, the mud in it. Waterproof it with a liquid membrane, then tile over it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase