Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
mographer

Used the wrong sealer for slate shower. Need advice!

Hello, I recently installed a slate floor in my bathroom and shower. After doing some reading in this forum, I wish I had done that before making the decision, having learned it's regarded as one of the worst materials for wet environments. But what's done is done. I used 511 Seal and Enhance on it, but after just a couple weeks of use I'm noticing soap scum build up. Just white cloudiness forming around where one would typically stand. After doing some research it seems this really wasn't the best type of sealant to use. I'm having trouble finding some definitive methods of stripping it to apply a better sealer. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. Will stripping it also remove the soap scum that has already accumulated? What should I use to clean, strip, and then re-seal this slate for the best possible outcome?

Thank you!
Unread 02-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Ted.

Since Miracle was bought out by Rust-oleum a couple years back, there seems to be even less technical information about the product available online. And Rust-oleum seems not to recognize the difference between sealer and sealant, especially in the tile industry.

It's still a solvent-based product, which might render it somewhat removable, but I expect it's still a penetrating sealer and not really something that's gonna be simple to remove, if even possible to remove sufficiently to change to a different type of sealer. I just doubt you'd ever get it completely or consistently removed from your stone to the extent that another product would be able to replace it successfully. But I been wrong before.

What type of sealer did you have in mind if you think the 511 is not the correct type for your application? I'm mostly curious what type of product you expect would stop the build-up of soap scum on the surface of the stone. Perhaps changing the type of soap you use would be an easier and more effective solution.

A photo of what you're seeing might help when one of our sealing gurus stops by.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
mographer

Thanks CX. I meant to grab a picture before I left home today but forgot. I am able to seemingly rub the soap scum off with just my finger if I rub hard enough. Perhaps I just need to clean it well and apply another layer of the 511 seal and enhance? Or would I be able to apply 511 impregnator sealer on top, and would that be better? What is the go-to product for cleaning soap scum off of sealed slate?

You ask what sealer I had in mind... I was reading a website yesterday that was ranking sealers and Stonetech Bulletproof came out on top, while 511 was about middle of the pack. So that just got me thinking that maybe I should strip and re-do. But from what you're saying that sounds impossible, or at least really difficult. The only info I could fine on rust-oleums site was that it would take heat in excess of 900 degrees to brake it down and would take some pretty agressive sanding. So... not sounding like stripping is an option.

Thanks for your help!
Unread 02-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your cleaner wants to be a neutral or alkali Ph product for that task. I'm not the right guy to tell you a specific product, but we have folks who can.

We (TYW) were dealers of StoneTech Professional products back when they were made by StoneTech Professional. The Bulletproof sealer was recommended for porous stones and grouts and I don't know if your slate would fall into that category and I was told by the manufacturer that it was of no real value to move up to Bulletproof unless your surface was one that could fully benefit.

None of the penetrating sealers is gonna prevent your soap buildup.

StoneTech is now owned and manufacturered by Laticrete. You might wanna check their website to see their recommendation and whether slate would be considered porous.

I'll see if I can get our Laticrete rep to look in on your thread.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I wouldn't regard 511 as a inferior sealer or go through the trouble of trying to remove it. Pics are always helpful.
Unread 02-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
jerrymlr1

What kind of soap are you using? Bar soap will leave soap scum on anything. I bet if you switch to a liquid soap your soap scum problem will disappear.
Unread 02-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
I bet if you switch to a liquid soap your soap scum problem will disappear.
Yup. I made the switch when I started using the new shower. No way was I going to let soap scum build up on all that hard work.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Hi Ted,
We'd recommend contacting the manufacturer of the sealer you used to find out their recommendations of what to do to strip it. If you can successfully strip it, we'd be able to you determine which STONETECH products (yes, manufactured by LATICRETE) you can use. When you get to that point, feel free to contact our Tech Services at 1.800.243.4788 x1235
Unread 03-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
mographer

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had put it aside for a bit because I stopped using the shower for the time being and got busy with some other tasks.

But something crazy happened today and the situation got worse. I don't know what's going on. My house cleaner cleaned it today, which she has done before, and used Bona stone floor cleaner. I've attached pictures of what happened. There is so much white residue! I don't know what is causing this. I've tried cleaning with Stonetech soap scum remover, but that does nothing. Some parts I can actually rub off with my finger if I rub long enough, it kind of rubs off and rolls up under my finger. Other spots don't come up that way. I actually even tried rubbing a spot with steel wool, which I attached a picture of, and that took it off for the most part. The black arrow shows the area I used the steel wool

Anyone have any idea what's causing this and how do I stop it?

To answer Sharon from Laticrete, I sealed with 511 Seal&Enhance. I did two applications of it. The only info I can find about removing it is on their website where it says it takes 900 degree temperatures to break it down and thus the stone has be honed or sanded down. So, doesn't sound like I'm going to be removing this sealer.
Attached Images

Unread 03-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have, Ted.

Regards,

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase