Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
prop_nut

Options for Terrazzo Shower Base

Hi, I would like to ask some advice from the experts...

I am a DIY guy, trying to save money and fix the house up. I am remodeling a 48 year old shower, and it has a terrazzo base. The metal sides on the terrazzo base have corroded so bad, that they will let water through. Additionally, they installed this terrazzo base with walls on 4 sides. I normally see this type of base in 3-wall showers, and doors on the 4th wall. My point is that the metal lip does not get buried behind the 4th wall, and it shows signs of leakage over the years (see pics - water damage on walls & floor).

I am new to showers, but have tile experience.

The original thought was to keep the terrazzo base and polish it up a bit, use Hardie Backer, Kerdi, and porcelain tile. A newly remodeled kitchen is below this shower. We plan on staying in this house for a long while.

Curious for any suggestions with this project.

1.) Is there any way to keep the terrazzo base, and seal this so it does not leak? You will probably notice a hairline crack on the terrazzo, in the pictures; although, no leaks, at the moment.

2.) If we must rip out the terrazzo base, how to do it without messing up the leaded drain pipe (and kitchen) below?

3.) What are your suggestions for alternative bases? I would rather put in a pre-fab something or other, rather than build a mud base, with all the intracacies. This looks challenging, and easy to screw up.

Thanks for all of your help!
Tom
Attached Images

Unread 01-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

1- Yes but it involves non approved methods. I would not be able to give our usual lifetime warranty and you have that crack......

2- You can't. Replace the trap with some shiny new plastic. They are cheap and easy to install.

3- Prefab bases are not always the panacea they seem to be. Many have tile flanges that fall short of the curb, thus allowing water that is atop the curb to enter the wall cavity at the mid point of the curb. If you find a base with a full flange you'll fare much better.

Do not fear the mud bed. We've guided many readers through the process. Some of them have been gen-you-wine wimmin. You can't be bested by a girl, can you ?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
prop_nut

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at your website, and it looks like top shelf work. Nice designs!

1- Just curious about those methods and the amount of associated risk. Are there any more hints you can give me on this one? BTW, one of my friend's motto is "Try your best, and caulk the rest!"

2- If I replace the base, can I do it all from the top side, or do I need to get at it from underneath (kitchen) to connect the drain? Wife would not be happy with this.

3- I'll look into this. Any brands that you like or recommend?

I am sure I could build a base, but I am hoping to find some other way. Wife wants her bathroom back, and just thinking about this option adds weeks to the schedule.

Thanks Again.
Tom
Unread 01-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1- Use Kerdi board or USG board that is at least 1/2" thick. Cut to fit the top of the pan. Seal the board to the pan. (that's the cliff note version)

2- Yes its all done from the top side.

3- fin pan, tile ready,

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase