Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
jenniferjuniper

Can you color seal a 1/16th grout joint?

I called a company that does color sealing (they did my kitchen and it looks great) but they said they can't color seal unsanded grout. However I read online that there is no such restriction on color sealing. I might just do it myself but it seems like all the roller applicators only go down to 1/8 inch.
Unread 10-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Stone Dude

The reason they told you that is because color seal products are designed to bond with the silica sand in sanded grout, and with the texture of the grout. if you use it on non-sanded grout, I wouldn't expect it to last for any reasonable amount of time.

There is a reason professionals stay away from certain things.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
jenniferjuniper

Interesting, thanks. I wonder if it depends on the brand or something? I called another company and they said they could do it but they would need to see how small the grout join is first. That was their only concern. I read the specs on a couple of brands of color seals and they claim to work on sanded and unsanded.

I would rather just use a clear seal and apply it myself but the only clear grout sealer I can find that actually claims to be waterproof is apparently only sold by janitorial supply companies and I haven't found a place where I can get it.
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
...the only clear grout sealer I can find that actually claims to be waterproof...
I'd be a bit leery of such a claim, Jennifer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
jenniferjuniper

I am definitely leery CX! Then again I used this same company's concrete sealer at my last house (we had a concrete floor)...my cat peed on it many times and it never soaked in. So I am willing to at least give it a try! I found a place to buy it so I will report back to let readers know if it is actually waterproof or not. I am definitely skeptical but will try it anyway....just in a small spot before I bother to try it on the whole floor.
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Jennifer the sealer may be water resistent or unaffected by moisture exposure but no sealer can make the grout or tile installation truly waterproof.

Do you have name and a link for the product you are considering?

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Jennifer

If your goal is to only color seal 1/16" unsanded grout joints, it is possible with successful results. I have done my fair share of applying grout colorant of various types to both sanded and unsanded grout over the last 30 years.

Some products are more difficult to apply than others. Some products are more durable than others.

It is extremely important that the grout is properly cleaned and prepped prior to application of any grout colorant. We also suggest that you do a TEST area prior to committing to the entire job, to make sure the colorant perform and meets your expectations.

Please post a photo of the area you want to apply the grout colorant, as well as post the name of the products you were considering using.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase