Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
IrishSwede

Color Washed from Stacked Stone

I will make a long story short. We were preparing our exterior stacked stone to seal. We went to a specialty tile store and the guy told us before sealing we should clean our stone. We purchased a non-acidic "gentle" stone cleaner. We used a soft brush on the surface. The guy had warned us about pressure washing so we utilized our garden hose to rinse.

It worked amazing on 90% of our project.

The issue is that it seems to have removed the finish from the stone on a couple places. We attempted to seal it with an enhancer, which did darken it a little, but no where near what the others are.

What are my options? Does anyone recognize the product used so we may try and find a suitable replacement?
Attached Images

Unread 04-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jeff,

I know nothing about the cleaner you used, but I'm betting it's a property of the "stone" rather than the cleaner.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
IrishSwede

I think you are right - the whole reason we wanted to seal the stone, was because we had noticed the color rapidly fading in the rain over the last year. I had no idea that cultured stone needed to be sealed...but I do now. I will just have to live with it and if we ever get a new home again the first thing I will do is add some sealer.

I contacted the builder, hopefully he can atleast tell me the manufacturer of the stone...I am guessing it would be a reach that anyone here could recognize it?
Unread 04-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jeff, I was wondering what sealer you were planning to use. I'm not sure a penetrating sealer like we use on tile and grout will protect it from fading but I've been wrong before.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Jeff, are you still within a “warranty period” with the builder?

Or is that where the “long story” part comes into play?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
IrishSwede

Haha Tool Guy - ya the "Long Story" is the builder only warranties workmanship for 2 years and materials for 1 year. He said he bought the stone at auction and is unaware of the maker of it...just like he bought our discontinued hardwood and refurbished appliances at auction... The other 2 homes in our community with this stone had the same issue, but mine gets a little more exposure - so was more "washed-out".

The product I used was Aqua Mix Enrich N Seal. I tested it out and it really is doing a great job. I decided to return the original product, as one of the cultured stone companies recommended the Aqua Mix - slightly more expensive, but not as expensive as replacing all the stone around my house...usually not a fan of CBP products, and it did take 3 coats, but what isn't washed-out looks amazing.

I would still love to figure out the stone, but guess for now I am just a cautionary tale not to assume all exterior stone is the same...and spending a couple hundred to seal it is better than the alternative.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase