Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-23-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
Just In Tile LLC

1/8" wood paneling on backsplash

Hey Ya'll,
Just looked at a backsplash with old ash paneling, as the title states it's 1/8" thick. It's the only thing on the studs and really flimsy between the stud bays. It looks like I'd have to cut around all the cabinets and countertop with my oscillating tool to remove it since they are all set against it.

There are two windows in the corner by the sink and all the trim around them is 1/2" thick over the panel board. Plan is to cut out all paneling and prep space with thinnest substrate as possible. I'm hoping to prep space so windows and everywhere else doesn't have a huge thickness change.

My question:
1)What is the thinnest substrate possible for tile installation over open studs...Since I'll have access I can hopefully brace alot of the open spans horizontally so my substrate will be nice and solid.
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-23-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

While what you have "may" work....I would use a 1/4" cement board over it, just to be safe.
Unread 03-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #3
Just In Tile LLC

Only thing Laz is it will then overshoot the trim around the windows if I go over it then tile thickness
Unread 03-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
diydanny

Im a complete noob but wanted to throw this out at you.

Can u install 2x2s, or similar, between the stud cavities vertically and set back on each stud then attach the backerboard of your choice cut to fit each cavity so they are flush with the outside face of the studs?
Unread 03-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Justin, of all the CBUs, I think only Hardiebacker's 1/4" panel is indicated for use on wall installations and only on stud 16 inches on center or less.

No way for you to make jamb extensions for your window? Difficult to guess what might be possible without at least a photo or two.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

If you fill in the stud bays then I think you could go over it with most anything. Wedi and Schluter make a 1/8 inch board.
Unread 03-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
smifwal

This is more of a question than a suggestion but how about a paperback lath with a scratch coat?
Unread 03-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

That's gonna be thicker than the Hardiebacker, Shawn.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
CaliGrown

I was thinking the same thing Shawn, after taking it the studs paper, wire and mud.
When you bring it to the studs, could mark and notch ‘em back to give yourself room for 1/2” board or a scratch and brown. A planer and multi tool combo special
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2022, 04:13 PM   #10
Just In Tile LLC

Sorry to have ghosted this thread, I went on a small vacation and also didn't think about this problem again until now while I'm running through my schedule and calls I need to make.

I'm thinking I'll brace the framing after I cut-out 1/8"th board and use 1/4" backer (if I win the bid) since it's easy to acquire where I'm at. As far as the trim around the window adjustment I might have to leave that to someone other than myself. Everything in the house is stained wood and trim and trying to get something to look clean seems like I'd be caught up in details that I'd charge an arm and a leg for.

I'll post an update if I do the job. Thank you everyone!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase