Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
mattR88

Outside corner where cement board meets drywall

Hi All,
I'm a first time DIYer in early stages of a total bathroom renovation. I've had a lot of questions throughout the process and I've been able to find all the answers, a lot from these forums, but there's one bit I'm having trouble finding a solid answer on.

I have an alcove tub/shower where the ceiling hangs lower then the rest of the bathroom. I'm going to be tiling the entire surround including the ceiling. The tile is going to be all the way to the corner on one wall and on the ceiling, finished with a bullnose. The third wall is a flat transition from cement board to drywall.

For the two outside corners where cement board is going to meet drywall, what do I use to "finish" that corner? I've read that I shouldn't use corner bead because it will bump up the tile. I was thinking I can just use fiberglass tape to form the corner but I'm not sure I'll get a good edge that way. And if I do use fiberglass tape, do I use drywall compound on the outside edge and thinset on the inside edge? Or thinset on both?

I have some vinyl corner bead that is indented on one edge for joint compound and the other edge is flat. Could I use that to bring the drywall down in front of the cement board, then waterproof the cement board/corner bead seam and tile over that?

Thanks!
Unread 02-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

If the rest of your house has the standard metal corner beads, you can use that. They're pretty thin and won't cause a hump in the wall. I've also seen some with metal in just the corner, and a mesh to attach to the wall. Either will work.

Most corners get bumped out because of the sheetrock mud that's applied to built the corner up and make it as flat as possible. Since you'll be tiling over it, that shouldn't be a problem.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
VToutdoors

I was under the impression that you don't want to use paper under the tile, only Alkaline resistant mesh tape.

Im doing the same thing, but Im gonna use mesh tape. Thinset on the backerboard, Joint compound on the drywall. Then use your bullnose as your guide when finishing the drywall.
Unread 02-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
Kman

The paper is only on the outside corner, and not an issue as long as it's outside the wet area. That was my understanding of the OP's description, that it wouldn't get any water on it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
mattR88

Kevin,
Thanks for the response. Just to confirm, the cement board side is a wet side but the outside drywall edge is dry. I'll be tiling right to the edge where the two meet.

Adam,
Do you plan on using any corner bead or just alkaline resistant tape and thinset/joint compound?
Unread 02-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
VToutdoors

Matt,

I plan on just using alkaline resistant tape and thinset/joint compound
Unread 02-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
VToutdoors

Matt,

I plan on just using alkaline resistant tape and thinset/joint compound. I am using Metal Trim instead of bullnose, so that will help me maintain a straight line when done Ill finish the drywall with joint compound, prime, paint, and caulk
Unread 02-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I use a metal corner bead for this situation. Yes, it sticks out just a bit but you'll have to deal with it. Nail the tile side on first and keep it pushed to the wall as close as you can. Then nail the front side of it.

One thing with coming all the way out to the corner: check and see how plumb the wall is. If it's out-of-plumb then I would consider holding the tile back from the edge of the wall at least a half inch.

If you run it out to the edge then whatever is out-of-plumb will show. It goes from nothing to something.

Just my two cents.
Unread 02-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
mark999

Matt

Like Jim said,metal corner bead will work fine. If the outside wall is not plumb adjust the corner bead to make it so.It will hang past the plane of the wall either at the top or bottom. Just float that out with tape and drywall mud. I also like to float the tile side with thinset to flatten out that corner bead hump.

Now when you tile that corner with bullnose or a metal profile that edge will be plumb and will look nice.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase