Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Pirate

Will sealer change color of grout?

Will a sealer change the color of grout? What I mean is, do you have to take this into consideration when choosing a grout color? I know when you apply a clear coat to stained wood, it will darken some.
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Generally not.. an enhancing sealer will.. Test a small inconspicuous area first if you are concerned..
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
sandbagger

there have been some reports of some sealers leaving what appears to be a residue on darker grouts. I saw a little bit of that with Bulletproof on my Custom light smoke grout. I think some of that can be avoided with the right application technique.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Randy, Welcome!

As a rule of thumb, quality non enhancing impregnators will not change the grout color. Stay away from topical sealers and finishes. To avoid clouding as Art mentioned, use a solvent based sealer. Dupont Stone Tech Impregnator Pro and Surface Treatment Technologies SB have both proven to be excellent stable impregnators for me. There will be an initial color change on application that will dry out after the carriers have evaporated.

Are you only doing the grout? Sanded or unsanded? Floor or walls?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Pirate

I tiled my floor and was planning to grout tomorrow. The grout I got is Laticrete Permacolor Smoke Grey. I mixed a small sample of the grout and it is a little lighter in color than I would like. It's so hard to tell what the true color is going to be, based on a small swatch you see on a computer screen. For a sealer, I was planning on the 511 Miracle Seal and Enhance, and from what I just read here, it sounds like the "Enhancing" changes the color some.

So...I can buy some of the 511 sealer at HD (except I guess the HD version doesn't have "511" in it's title) and try it on my grout sample, or buy another different color of Permacolor and see how that looks.
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Randy

You're taking the correct steps.

We always promote TEST first!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase