Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
Oakdale63

Sunken Roman tub conversion to curb less walk in shower. The horror. Help!

imgur. com/gallery/fhG1Z1L

Hi guys! I’m a diyer that’s a bit in over his head. My home is a 1980 California slab tract.

One thing after another with this project. The latest hurdle: the concrete tub frame is built into the walls of my home...How can I possibly get the concrete walls flush so that I can lay even cement board to tile? I need about 10 inches under the top of the tub to meet grade with my floor.

Next question...is extending my drain simply a matter of cutting it out and adding the piping necessary? What are the pitfalls that I can look out for?

Do I need to break up my tile or can I lay concrete directly on the tile floor?

How can I measure out and accurately install my shower pan and mortar bed? I need to measure up to existing grade less the thickness of the tile installed on the regular bathroom floor.

Last but not least, is the mold damage especially cornering? I actually anticipated more because this bathroom doesn’t have a fan and it’s a 1980 home. I already applied vinegar but if I need to replace any wood or insulation please advise.

Sorry to join as a newbie completely flustered and panicked..although I’m sure you guys are somewhat used to it haha.

I did see about 8 years ago a fellow in Florida has a similar concern but there wasn’t ever a follow up.

Thanks so much...any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tim
Unread 10-29-2019, 01:59 AM   #2
Kman

Hello Tim. Welcome to the forum.

I've moved your thread over here to the advice forum. It's a more appropriate location, and likely to get more views here.

You won't be able to post links until you have three posts under your belt, but that's okay. We actually prefer that you upload your pictures directly from your storage device so that they'll remain her permanently for future viewers. Besides, I couldn't find anything under the link you posted.

So why don't we start with that, because a picture is worth a thousand words, and I had difficulty understanding your questions without the pictures as a reference.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
Oakdale63

Thank you for the warm welcome!
Attached Images

Last edited by Oakdale63; 10-29-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: More pics
Oakdale63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tim.

If I understand the questions, you don't need to get the concrete tub walls flush with the framed walls above, you'll want to get the framed walls above flush with, or a bit proud of, the concrete tub walls below. Much easier proposition.

Raising the drain to the new shower level is just a matter of extending the riser pipe and attaching a new drain appropriate to the shower construction method you've chosen, but not yet shared with us.

You can build up your existing tub floor directly on the existing tile. Again, if I understand the question correctly.

As for any mold, look in our Liberry and you'll find some information about that. Kill it and move on with the project would be my advice.

A photo or two from a bit further away would likely give us some needed perspective.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Oakdale63

Thank you so very much for the reply. I can’t begin to tell you what a relief you just gave me. I agree that building the wall out would work best. It’s funny how a different set of eyes can offer such golden advice. After pouring the concrete would I need a new shower pan? There is one underneath the tub
Attached Images

Last edited by Oakdale63; 10-29-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Pics
Oakdale63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I can see where you might wanna chip our the corners on that rounded end, Tim, to accommodate whatever sort of wall you plan there. Deep enough to accommodate whatever waterproofing you intend to use, which we still don't know anything about.

Yes, I'd want to create a waterproof receptor for your shower regardless what might be under the tub.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase