Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
M&P40FAN
JOHN

Saltillo advice

I recently purchased a new to me home. House was built in 07. Has an extensive amount of indoor Saltillo that is still in pretty good shape. The home also has a wrap around porch or "veranda" as my wife likes to call it. The porch is also done in Saltillo.

I am in Northern California so the tile sees temperature extremes from freezing to 105 degrees plus.

It appears to have been sealed at one point based on the water drop test. It absorbs at different rates throughout the porch.

In the areas where the previous owners had furniture and planters there is scratching and some stains. There also appears to be "lime pops."

During the winter when it's raining there was also Efflorescence in the ares that eventually popped or chipped.

I want to clean it and re-seal it. I don't expect it to look perfect but I would like it to look nice/clean and protect my investment.

I have read a hundred threads on here regarding the issue and my head is spinning with all of the advice.

I plan to purchase a heavy duty cleaner such as Klenzall to clean it and then seal it with possibly one of Aldon's sealers or whatever is recommended.

What will be the best way for me to clean the surface prior to sealing? By hand, with a buffer?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank You

I will try to attach pics
Unread 08-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
M&P40FAN
JOHN

Pics

Here are the pics.
Attached Images

Unread 08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
M&P40FAN
JOHN

More pics
Attached Images

Unread 08-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, John.

Unfortunately I am not the guy who can answer your questions, but I can bump your thread to the top of the queue. The CRS forum is frequently our slowest and on weekends even slower, but if you're patient you'll get some useful response. I hope.

First thing the sealer gurus will want to know is what specific sealer was used on your tiles. If you can't find out, can you at least tell if it was a topical or penetrating sealer? Doesn't look topical in your photos, but I frequently can't see what's really in posted photos.

When I've had Satillo floors stripped and re-sealed, it's always been done with buffers and wet vacuums and pretty harsh chemicals. Thought about doing it myself until the first time I had one done professionally. I would always hire that out.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
M&P40FAN
JOHN

I'm n ot sure what type of sealer was used previously.
Unread 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
stu rosen

My advice is as follows-The surface doesnt look like it has any heavy coatings on the surface. you can test the porosity by simply letting a palm sized puddle of water sit on the surface for 5/10 minutes and gauge the results after wiping the puddle away. Most likely it is sealed with some type of impregnator and possibly a topical. A high alkaline cleaner such as Klenzall may take degrade the sealers that are on the surface. Do a small area and test porosity again.
You may need a true stripping product to effectively remove the sealer(s) from the surface. You can also consider using a neutral cleaner which wont degrade the present sealer(s) but just clean the surface-then you can add some products-you have lots of options once you see if the stone is still absorbing.
I would go with the neutral cleaner-test your porosity-make repairs to the surface using patching compounds (google that up) and then consider using some products from sparks southwest. They have a some products for saltillo tiles that will work well. There is a lot of other products you can use as well.
Do the initial testing to find out whats on the surface and get back to us.
Then we can help you better.
Just want to say that my best advice is to hire a pro that has a lot of saltillo experience in your area. While it will cost you some bucks-you will get a much better result from someone in your area that knows this material well and has references to prove it.
Unread 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
teeitup
Licensed Tile Sealing Contractor

To determine if you have a topical sealer just take a little acetone or lacquer thinner and put a drop or two on the surface. Rub fairly firmly it with your index finger. Then rub your finger and and thumb together, if it feels sticky it means you have topical sealer. If there is no stickiness it is either penetrating sealer or no sealer at all. I do have a branch of Seal Systems in NorCal, depending on where you are I could have them take a look and give you a bid.

If you are a do it your selfer you can call me at 949 8585211 and I will be happy to give you some free advice. We have specialized in Mexican Pavers for 34 years and have done more than 8000 of these floors.

http://www.tilesealing.com
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
M&P40FAN
JOHN

Unhappy with contractors work

I had a contractor come out to clean and reseal my outdoor Saltillo tiles. See the thread below for the before pictures.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=120629

He came out on Wednesday and cleaned the tile by utilizing chemicals. He then came back the next day and sealed with two coats of a "wet look" sealer.

I am happy with the way the sealer looks. It added a nice shine to the tile. The problem is that the tile and grout doesn't appear to have been cleaned properly.

There are still scuff marks and stains in the tile that were previously there. There is also still effloresence in some areas.

I was under the impression that he would be utilizing a machine to clean/buff the tile in order to remove all stains and scuff marks, however he did not. The only reason I hired out instead of doing the work myself is because I do not have access to a machine.

It should also be noted that the tile was sealed on Thursday and by the next morning it was raining outside. Is this enough time for the sealer to dry?

I called him and he is coming back next week to take a look at it. Any advice on what I should say to him and or what to expect?

Thank you

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase