Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
john walls

Urethane based grout vs epoxy

I'm trying to get my contractor to use epoxy grout for a tile shower.
He insists on using a premixed water based urethane grout.
Specifically he uses Bostik TruColor. Says it's better than epoxy.
I'm skeptical that it is as durable and stain resistant as epoxy.
I would appreciate any opinions on this.
Unread 06-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
CountryBumkin

Send a message via ICQ to CountryBumkin
Why have your Contractor use something he is not familiar with? If he uses it and it comes out bad (even if he screwed it up) he's going to blame you and say he did what you told him to.
The epoxy grouts are good, but the Urethane grouts are real goo too.
Unread 06-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi John,

Do you have a traditional mud pan, or is it a pre-formed pan?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

John, sounds like your installer has never used epoxy grout. So how can he honestly give an opinion? To me the epoxy is best.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
jerrymlr1

I will be replacing the same urethane grout used in a pool a while back. It completely fell apart. Different scenario but still wet. There were pool failures with their product and as far as I know they didn't stand by any of them.
Unread 06-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
john walls

Tonto,
It's a mud pan, but not traditional.
It's a mud pan with topical waterproofing (Kerdi).
Also Kerdi on the walls.
Unread 06-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
john walls

Davy,
What's the learning curve with epoxy grout?
Is it easy to screw up, or easy to use for a first timer?
Unread 06-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
CountryBumkin

I'm not Davy - but I used the Epoxy grout (SpectraLOCK)on my first shower tile project. https://laticrete.com/our-products/t...-premium-grout

It is easier to use than regular gout, you can't screw up the mix since it comes in pre-mixed containers (i.e. add part A to part B). If there was a low spot discovered after grouting has dried, you can go back and add more to fill in low spot (you don't need to dig out the existing grout like with cement gout). Looks as good or better than cement grout regarding smoothness of finish. For a DIYer, I recommend getting multiple small containers rather than one large container because once you mix it, it starts hardening. But it hardens slow enough to not be a problem for an experienced tiler.

My next tile job, I used the pre-mixed Arcrylic gout FlexiColor CQ http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/Tile-&-St...I-Flexcolor-CQ.
It was easy to use, went down well. Looks good, stain proof, easy cleanup with water, and you can save what you don't use right away for later (whatever is left in the container can be used up to a year later (it is said)).

The important thing to know, is that with both products you need to start the tile cleanup (wipe down) within the time period specified (like 15 minutes after application). But it was not difficult at all. Good luck

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 06-21-2016 at 09:00 AM.
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
john walls

So, why isn't epoxy grout the standard? Why not always use it?
Is it simply because it costs more?
From what I've read, its impermeble, crack resistant, and the best at stain resistance.
Grout should be a small percentage of the job cost. So it seems
like it would be worth installing the best for a small increment in total job cost.
Unread 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
CountryBumkin

That's a good question.
I suppose it is the price, and maybe because some people don't want to try/learn a new product (the Spectralock only came out about 5 years ago and the Flexicolor grout is newer than that). Could also be that they tried the early versions of the epoxy/acrylic/whatever and it had problems so they are sticking with the stuff they know.

When I used the FlexiColor CQ last year it was $80 a tub and I needed three tubs. The cement based grout would have been around $15 a bag and one or two bags would have been enough.

When your a Pro quoting work (competing for work) a couple of hundred dollars can be the difference between winning an losing the job. For a DIYer working on his own place, and understanding the product differences by doing some research, that amount isn't much.
Unread 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
So, why isn't epoxy grout the standard? Why not always use it?
For some of us, it is. We use it about 90-95% of the time, and you listed several reasons why.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi John. I don't use as much epoxy grout as Dana but I've used it on a couple dozen jobs in the past. I do offer it to the homeowners on most of my jobs.

To me it's not easier to use than regular grout but it isn't all that hard to use either. If the temp is up and you spread too much grout, you could have a hard time getting it cleaned up.

They don't recommend it but I take several plastic cups to the job and measure half batches. That way I don't have to spread so much and risk getting ahead of myself.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
rjwz2

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm going to grout my shower floor soon using Spectralock Pro and wanted to make smaller batches because I've never used it before and was worried about rushing as I've heard it dries really fast. Where I live is also pretty hot.

Davy, isn't it not recommended to mix smaller batches? I have a gram scale and will be measuring it out by weight.

Thanks.
Unread 06-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

No. Divide it however you want, into as many batches as you want. Or use mini-units, which are 1/4 of a full-unit. Once you divide batches, you need to measure & mix each batch carefully and uniformly to assure everything matches. Mix ALL the part C's together regardless of how you do the batches, then divide out what you need for each batch.

You shouldn't have any issues with quick drying Rob. I've not noticed any particular difference between the PNW and here in that regard. Our higher humidity here helps offset the effects of the heat.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like Dana said, it is not recommended but I do it anyway. Those mini units are expensive for being so little. Instead of buying several of them, I buy the contractor size and make 1/2 or 1/3 batches, especially if the joints are small.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase