Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-24-2015, 04:31 AM   #1
burpootus

Tiling around angled cabinet

I am straight laying a kitchen with 16" tiles. The room is basically a big rectangle but the cabinets have a slightly unusual feature in that the section with the sink (roughly 60" section) comes off of one of the walls at a 45 degree angle. I've seen the how to's when laying diagonal tile where you make a template equal to the diagonal length, but what about when the tile is straight and the object you are tiling around is at an angle?
Unread 07-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
burpootus

So after I got to work a buddy and I drew out this scenario on a chalk board. It seems that the key is still a diagonal length (in the case of 16" tile this would be in the 23" range) template, which would project the correct angle from the cabinet onto a field tile. Does this sound right?
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
CountryBumkin

Send a message via ICQ to CountryBumkin
I think you need to provide a drawing. I can't visualize what your trying to describe. Now my head hurts.
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
burpootus

This is a very crude outline. The thicker lines are the walls, thinner lines are the cabinets. The opening top left opens to the living room and is where the kitchen tile begins. Tiles will be straight layed. This is a link to the "diagonal length" template idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lac8_M1m2kc
Attached Images

Last edited by burpootus; 07-24-2015 at 01:33 PM.
burpootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
Kman

When I have to cut a diagonal tile, I just set the full tile around it, then measure the two cut sides of the tile, subtracting a gap for the grout joint and an expansion joint at the vertical object I'm measuring up to (the cabinet in your case).

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
burpootus

Yesterday afternoon I dry layed field tiles around the angled cabinet and measured the diagonal length and cut a template out of thin plywood. I then projected the angle with the template and went right around the cabinet like a breeze. I had one cut that was tight so I took a saw blade width off, other than that each piece fit perfectly on the first cut. I had been dreading all the measuring and cutting, and recutting I was anticipating doing and really like discovering a common sense "trick" that makes a job so much easier.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase